More War Bowlocks

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Sir Galahad. Waiting outside of Umm Qsar for xteen days to offload humanitarian supplies. Variously quoted as between 500 and 900 tons.

'Scuse me, but I thought the SG was a landing ship, able to bump into any convenient beach, and unload there. So why not drive it into a suitable bit of Kuwait, and stick the goodies on trucks (which is where they are going to end-up anyway). You'd only need 25 trucks or so. And as Umm Qsar is within spitting distance (literally) of the Kuwaiti border the poor bloody Iraquis could have had the free blankets and corned beef long ago.

Oh, I see, a photo opportunity. Why didn't I think of that?

jimi

Visit site
Re: More War Rowlocks

If they do'nt find WMD will Bush and Blair be tried for war crimes?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bergman

Visit site
Re: Gesture politics

And war is extension of politics by other means so suppose gesture war.

Don't see why its so urgent, presumably Iraquis would have eaten something had war not started, and Basra is 2nd biggest city so presumably much of that something is stored there somewhere.

Guess they need to open Uum Qsar port so perhaps want to make a bit of a show - hearts and minds stuff.

To be honest little of whats going on there makes much sense to me. Wish we could get our people out of it, 20 dead last I saw, truly shocking and awful. Please God there's no more.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site

I hope so.. and why is GW ranting and raving about the Geneva Convention when he's currently hosting Guantanamo Concentration Camp Bay.. which is about as far from the Geneva Convention as you can go!

IMHO there is NO integrity on either side

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site

Mind you the bullet holes look very precise..

Did you see the clip when an Iraqi spokesperson denied that the soldiers had been executed - and claimed that the Iraqi grunts were just very good shots!

<hr width=100% size=1>

poggy

Visit site

Perhaps the UN should be tried for war crimes as their inactivity has allowed more than 3 million people to be murdered there. If that was on CNN 24 hours a day perhaps more people would support action.

Regardless of the political reasons behind the war, if they achieve their goal, it will be a better place for the population.

Shame that it takes two countries to take this on, if everybody put pressure on them it would be over a lot quicker.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site

I wouldn't put it passed the hardline Iraqi guard to execute POWs but how do we know what is going on in Guantamamo Bay?? there is no real information about the "methods" of interrogation being used there ..

and we know the conditions in which the POWs in Guantanamo Bay (although they haven't actually been given this status but the US.. that is what they are) are being held!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bergman

Visit site
Re:The French!

Too true.

I'm against the war, don't believe our military ought to be involved, but I do get a bit sick with the self abuse thats going on.

Fact
The Iraqi airforce consists almost totally of Mirage and Mig aircraft supplied by France and Russia

Fact
The Iraqi army is supplied with T72 and T55 tanks by Russia

Fact
The Iraqi army is supplied with Roland anti aircraft missiles by France

Fact
Iraq is supplied with pre-cursor chemicals for chemical weapons by Germany

Fact
Iraq is supplied with a nuclear reactor (damaged by Isreal) by France

Fact
Iraq is supplied with air defence radar by France and Russia

Fact
Iraq is supplied with Scud missiles by Russia

Fact
Iraq army supplied with Kalashnikov assault rifles by Russia

Fact
Iraq is supplied with surface to surface missiles by China

Probability
Iraq supplied with plant to produce chemical weapons by Germany

Probability
Iraq supplied with GPS jamming equipment by Russia

Is it a co-incidence that France, Russia and China want Saddam to win this war.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kgi

Visit site

you forgot the bit about the US and UK supplying Iraq with chemical and biological weapons, originally tofight the Iranians........keith

<hr width=100% size=1>

Anchorite

Visit site
Re: SUN-worshippers, by Jingo!

It is encouraging to observe that at least one Forumite has absorbed the basic
lessons of the Street of Shame in the persuasive (aka lopsided) presentation
of facts. There is no need to talk of the CIA's previous colossal 'investment' in
Irak: this could only cloud the issue for those who prefer their opinions served
on a plate. Things must be kept crystal clear, like the CTS between those two
nebulous WPT's, GOOD and EVIL. There has been unpredictable deviation in
the past: Aladdin's lamp (full of oil) may help to light the way...
[Nautical note for trad navigators: CTS is of course a "compromise" Course to
Steer]

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidhand

Visit site

According to an Iraki scientist defector (on tele this morning) a lot of the WMD were moved to Syria just prior to the inspectors going in. Now what!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dyflin

Visit site
What really surprises me is that they're carrying so little "aid" to supply the natives. The ship has a displacement of 8,751 tonnes so what's the rest of the cargo made up of...? Ammunition, petrol and toilet paper to clean up after Sky News have spouted another load of crap! And yes, it is a landing craft. Check out http://www.navynews.co.uk/ships/sirgalahad.asp

I've been to Iraq a few years ago with the merchant navy. We were on a "supertanker" and loaded 2.2million barrels of crude at an offshore sea-island terminal. Guess where it was bound for... Galveston, Texas! And the US navy never troubled us once. That's why they have secured Umm Qsar. To bring in military supplies and export petrolium products.

As I keep saying, "it's the right war being fought by the wrong people".

~Dyflin

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
The CIA have discovered today. That the Arabs do not like the Americans very much and are not going to wave and give flowers. In fact they cant get enough buses to take them all to Baghdad!! I could have told them that years ago.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

Bergman

Visit site

No I did'nt

First biological weapons were not used against Iran, chemical certainly were.

The chemical weapons were produced locally in Iraq, not "supplied" by UK or USA.

The production process uses precursor chemicals, similar, and in some cases identical, to those used to make pesticides. These were supplied by Germany, perhaps in all innocence.

<hr width=100% size=1>