more tame jester challenge

ChuckBuck

Visit site
Hi Everyone,
My name is Chuck Buckingham - but mates call me Chuck Buck!
I've relocated to the UK from the great lakes (born in Canada) and am starting to get settled in. I've had to sell my Beneteau First 36.7 – ‘Miller Time’ as shipping costs were outrageous. I'm happy to report that I now have a new boat and I am enjoying most weekends on the Solent.
I was (and still am) a member of the Great Lakes Singlehanded society www.solosailor.org and really enjoyed being part of such an amazing group of passionate solo sailors. I successfully completed the Chicago to Mac Island solo challenge (333 n. miles) and the Lake Michigan solo scrambler (120 n mile race).
Their mission is below.
The Great Lakes Singlehanded Society is an organization established for the perpetuation of the sport of solo sailing. Its purpose is two-fold, the first being to encourage the development of and education concerning suitable techniques, equipment, and gear for shorthanded passage under sail; its second being the recognition of accomplishments of singlehanded sailors in the Great Lakes region. The camaraderie of like-minded sailors, borne of the competition on the race course, is the one of the greatest benefits the Society is able to bestow upon its members. The Society views all skippers who successfully complete one of the membership granting challenges as winners!
Now that I am here in the UK I am wondering if such an organization exists. Kind of a Chester challenge - but tamer version. If you know of such a group - would you be able to send me their info?
If no such group exists, would there be any interest in starting such a group? I'm happy to do the leg work if there is interest. Ideally, we'd get 10-20 passionate solo sailors together a couple times per year for an organized solo race / fast cruise. I now sail a Beneteau Oceanis 31 so, I know I won’t be leading the pack. I have another mate with a J92 who has shown interest in participating if there is interest. I'm not fussed about distance - perhaps anything from 50 - 250 miles? Ideally, we'd start and finish in the Solent as that's where the bulk of us keep our boats.
Looking forward to hearing back.
Chuck Buck
'Maple Leaf'
Haslar Marina