More from Lybster Harbour & more to come.....

boathead

Visit site
I was alongside Lybster for several days in early August, and found it to be a very relaxed environment to remain in during a bit of a blow. There are some very positive things about the little village; the harbour is very quaint and gives one a great sense of achievement in having found and navigated the harbour entrance, along with the inevitable holding of the breath passing the rocky cliff on the Stbd side coming in! I paid £15/night on the pontoon, which is only accessible by a ladder, which required care at low tides. We were on fairly extrreme spring tides during my stay, but Stakkr drawing 4' never touched bottom, as she had in Helmsdale. For your dosh though, you do have free access to washing and drying machines, and a shower, which are next to the visitor centre, with 24hr access. A small complaint isn't only pertinent to Lybster is that many of the marinas don't have a draining board for helping stack washing up, with there being no water or electricity on the pontoon, it wasn't ideal in using Stakkr's own (limited) water supply. A couple of pubs are up the hill in town, The Commodore, best described as 'earthy/traditional', nonetheless with friendly punters, and the Bayview, which would be better suited for taking Mother to, but both friendly and clean enough.
The visitor centre had great food, but one had to ask for filtered coffee. The exhibition is interesting enough though, and in the absence of even a mobile signal in the harbour area, was a valuable retreat. A couple of shops up in town for all the basic fresh goods and a good selection of wines.
Would I go back though; yes I would, but if I'd easily make either Wick or Helmsdale in the day, then I'd probably sail on by. :)

Was your boat the rather beautiful varnished folkboat? Really very lovely, I stood admiring her for quite a while. I am interested to hear any comments from the visiting yachts regarding the approach and entrance to Lybster, perhaps it is a matter of familiarity but we do consider it to be a very straightforward entrance, as I say I suppose we are used to it and so pay no mind to the cliffs to starboard, the directions found in the Clyde Cruising Clubs guide are good, if you folks haven't looked at them then perhaps they will help in future? The other points you make are fair enough, if in future anyone requires electricity whilst on the floating pontoon ten we can arrange it as there is an electric point on the harbour wall and we can get an extension lead to the pontoon, wander up to the white house and just ask. Equally we can fill water tanks up, again with long hoses. It's true to say we are a working harbour and so whilst we can accommodate most needs (electricity and water and diesel) it is all rather a matter of 'ask at the white house' and it can get sorted for you. Unfortunately we don't have the money to establish all facilities, perhaps if we attract more visiting yachts we could but we carried our extensive repairs to the harbour walls, and dredged too at a cost of over 500k with the help of grants and so forth but now we have to manage as best we can. Do not feel shy about popping up to the white house to ask for anything, although it may not all be 'at hand' it is all available............... including draining board for dishes............. now provided! See, we do listen. So okay, we are a bit rough and ready, we're not a marina just a little friendly fishing harbour and honestly that's how we want you guys to see us, we welcome you all and as 'Stakkr' says we do offer a very relaxed atmosphere and yes, the 'Bay View' is best for families with kids (and mothers) and there's a wee shortcut too, guess what.......... ask at the white house! Oh yes, wi-fi and phone signal, not a hope in the harbour but if you go to the top of the hill it's great (ish). Any other feedback would be really welcome, we had two yachts in a week ago, if you guys are out there tell your tale, I know it was a bit of a squeeze getting turned around in the inner basin so you could raft up, but the fisher guys helped and must say your boat control was excellent, I mean really impressive, we are still talking about you guys so if you are on this forum please let us know. Any other of our visitors please tell us all, we can only help if we know what we're getting wrong.

Topcat47

Visit site
This only makes me wish more it was closer to my cruising grounds. I've passed the link on to a couple of sailing pals who keep their boats on the Forth.

jamie N

Visit site
Was your boat the rather beautiful varnished folkboat? Really very lovely, I stood admiring her for quite a while.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbj2tchxdb6d36o/DSCF2335.JPG?dl=0
Thanks for the flattery; both Stakkr and I have ego's that enjoy being tickled!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pglcxnp3d0ol1f/DSCF2336.JPG?dl=0
Your harbour is a stunning place to stay, and the guy's who work from the harbour were very friendly, and good company.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6aof5jxu8dkqpr/DSCF2339.JPG?dl=0
But the entrance did take a leap of faith for me!
Thanks for adding to the facilities, it's good for all of us, and I do appreciate that you do have limited funds.