Morbihan - local knowledge please

[2574]

Visit site
The pilot books infer that all the best anchorages in the Morbihan are full of moorings with little room to anchor out of the tide. Does anyone know what the local ettiquette is on picking up vacant mooring buoys? Is it done or is it a major no no?

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

We visited a few years back and we did find places to anchor out of the tide (along with many other boats - it was August). The mooring buoys we saw seemed very light so we did'nt bother to try to use them
One tip about the Morbihan. We made the mistake of thinking we could eyeball the navigation but, although the buoyage is good, there are so many different islands and creeks that you can easily become confused about where you are especially when the tide is running and the tide is unbelievably fierce particularly in the entrance on the ebb. So get a large scale chart, plot a detailed route and keep on top of the pilotage

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
It depends on how deep you need it, but you can get out of the tide in some areas especially on neaps, not so easy for us raggies with deep keel (2.08m). There are some visitors buoys (usually white and without pickup strops, may say 'visiteurs' or 'V1, V2 etc). There are not many of these, usually only 5 or 6 together (some at Larmor Baden, Le Bono), sometimes they don't collect money since you will probably go ashore and spend money in the village -quaint habit we should try in the UK. Buoys off Isle Aux Moines are pricey, anchoring is on gravel that is noisy and strips galvanising from chain. Picking up local moorings is no more advisable here than anywhere else otherwise unless you are staying on board since a lot of boats daysail and return anytime as long as it is light (Morbihan is not lit) and the tide is right.

Have a good trip, you will love it - try the offshore islands too (Houat, Hoedic, Belle Isle) they are fantastic.

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

No, we didnt have time but it's supposed to be well worth the visit

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Rob

Vannes is a wonderful walled city, well worth a visit. Access is easy enough as per pilot books, marina is not expensive especially by UK standards. Try and avoid the busiest times ie when locals are returning on a Sunday evening. It can get very hot here, having visted many times in August we now reserve Vannes for the rare 'bad weather' stopover, plenty to see, lots of shops. Best Supermarket is Carrefour (edge of town, huge) and you would need a taxi, but there are plenty of shops and a 7 day covered market near to the marina.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I'd echo Robin's comments about Vannes and add that Auray is also worth a visit - peaceful (as long as you're not moored too near the road bridge to the south of the Town), beautiful surroundings and a delightful, though rather touristy, town.

Beautiful part of the world.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
It depends at what time you pick up the mooring. If it is fairly late then it may be safe to assume that the owner may not be coming back that night. If you see local people on nearby boats ask them their opinion. Leave your fenders out as a courtesy if he does and offer to leave. Very often he will offer that you lie alongside until the morning and then leave. I have found the Breton French extremely friendly and helpful as long as one remains cheerful and polite.

(The only complaint I ever had in Brittany (in 12 years being based there) was from an English boat which did not put out its fenders in a crowded habour in mid-summer and then criticized me for the size of mine... as I came alongside.)

The holding for ground tackle is frequently not very good; I remember a night to the east (lee) of the Ile d'Arz where most of the boats spent the night dragging and the wind was not particulary strong (F6/7).

Normally the islands in the main channels are steep to and you can sail fairly close to the shore.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>