Moorings v Marinas

chillee

Visit site
My drystsck i just call them from the car as I leave home and its in the water for when I arrive. Costs me a bit more overall than when I was in the marina, but not more having to get lifted out in the summer for a bottom clean, and easier maintenance.

paradave

Visit site
Dry stack appeals but I love coming back at sunset and having the option of sitting on the deck, enjoying a drink and then staying over.

Ian h

Visit site
Dry stack appeals but I love coming back at sunset and having the option of sitting on the deck, enjoying a drink and then staying over.

You can do that at Saxon Wharf and then they will lift out the boat next day
they also lift larger boats
  • Dry Stack facility for boats up to 13m

Seeline

Visit site
We’re on a managed swinging mooring on the river Tamar, it‘s the most idyllic location ever, beautiful views and so peaceful and the thought of being in a marina surrounded by other boats just doesn’t do it for us at all ... As others have said, horses for courses.

However, there are so many misconceptions on this thread about being on a swinging mooring that I don’t believe that those who made some of the posts have ever experienced it.

in strong winds, for example, we have far more comfort on the mooring than our friends in the marinas ... The boat just swings bow into the wind and sits there doing what boats do naturally rather than being clattered against the pontoon when the breeze happens to be abeam or astern.

And the notion that boats on moorings are less well kept is simply absurd. Sure, you can find the odd neglected moored craft but I’ve seen just as many heaps tied up in marinas.

Theft is higher on moorings ... Where on Earth did that one come from ?

James L

Visit site
We’re on a managed swinging mooring on the river Tamar, it‘s the most idyllic location ever, beautiful views and so peaceful and the thought of being in a marina surrounded by other boats just doesn’t do it for us at all ... As others have said, horses for courses.

However, there are so many misconceptions on this thread about being on a swinging mooring that I don’t believe that those who made some of the posts have ever experienced it.

in strong winds, for example, we have far more comfort on the mooring than our friends in the marinas ... The boat just swings bow into the wind and sits there doing what boats do naturally rather than being clattered against the pontoon when the breeze happens to be abeam or astern.

And the notion that boats on moorings are less well kept is simply absurd. Sure, you can find the odd neglected moored craft but I’ve seen just as many heaps tied up in marinas.

Theft is higher on moorings ... Where on Earth did that one come from ?
I would agree that boats in a marina are likely to get washed more than ones on moorings, the side nearest the pontoon at least :)
But from my experience boats on moorings leave the mooring a lot more often and thus are more likely to be properly maintained. I've never seen a boat left on a mooring for 12 months without being moved.
I really don't get this fascination for washing the hulls of boats, yeah it's nice to see it shiny, but if I have a few hours to spend on the boat, I go boating or will do jobs on the engine, electronics, interior etc. Washing the hull is usually the last thing on the list.
I think a lot comes down to how far away you live, if you live hundreds of miles away and use your boat as a holiday home then a Marina is the way to go if you can afford it. If like me you live near enough to see the boat out the window, then a Marina makes little difference, you only go to the boat to go boating, the trip out to the boat is just part of it. It's my kids favourite part of boating some days.
In fact this year I've been too busy to get the boat ready to launch, so I've just put the tender in the water to take the kids out for a spin.

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
Remember, not all Marinas are the same, where we are this is the view....

116584862_10220644592162277_7528132707802811137_n.jpg

It's a river Marina so you aren't all bunched up side by side.

Not the swankiest by a long way, but the the views are great and being in the river you get to see all the wildlife and experience the seasons.

148882695_10222141530584802_7377547158249519028_n.jpg

Plus the dogs always have something to look at....
So have a look around, you may find one that suits you, it doesn't always have to be shiny, shiny.

166820841_10222468848927556_2532897143797316765_n.jpg

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
As a river rat I will concede you have found the Holy Grail. I still think my views are better though and where as I enjoy seeing dolphin and salmon leaping in our estuary I do not appreciate all the wildlife. Gulls are bad enough but when the commorants take over the boat their turds dry into a zillion sharp shell splinters that plays havoc with bare feet and even soft soled deck shoes. Luckily I enticed mine to go somewhere else. It did cost me a good neighbour though.

James L

Visit site
best cure I've found for the gulls so far is Pirate Bunting from one of the kids birthday parties, only thing that's ever kept them away and the kids find it hilarious as it makes me look weird.

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
We don't seem to have too many problems with gulls and not with cormorants, we have lots of comedy ducks though, a yacht near us has a nest in the cockpit, we've got two swans nesting, unfortunately within reach of high tides and one seal, but nothing to match your dolphins and salmon...although we do have the odd wheely bin and furniture come past on their journey to the open sea after a lot of rain. It also on occasions gets a little chilly.

52893729_10215986433671226_2038586478786772992_n.jpg

BruceK

Visit site
The Salmon are seasonal. The dolphin enter after the mackerel shoals and are becoming a more common sight. The river is clean now after the farmers have been curtailed. Clean enough for the authorities to try reintroducing near extinct oysters back, starting in the marinas. Not sure about that one. We are plagued with mussel and barnacles as is. Nonetheless there is a certain pride that we have "blue" waters again.

This pod surfaced under my tender and gave me quite a start. They are big when you see them from the boat. They are simply humongous when they are next to the tender.

QZg3fpN.jpg

G1CL6SA.jpg

A_Sails_Pace

Visit site
Superb thread. So much info and opinions. Given that I’m about to leave the old winter’s hard standing and take up a spot in the river on a swinging mooring this was really useful reading (this is a slight change of plan for a few reasons. Not relocating entirely quite just yet)

Superb thread.

My main concerns really were making sure the battery is charged, and any potential insurance implications. Must admit, the idea of a more peaceful mooring away from the marina is like music to my ears. I have only experienced a few months in a marina before but that wasn’t really the reason I got the boat. Mind you, I’d be lying if I didn’t say the money side of things wasn’t a factor as well ?

Thanks again, all.

A.S.P

Last edited:

Seeline

Visit site
We have 2 solar panels mounted on the pulpit rails and we are power neutral on the mooring … No insurance problems either.
You can’t beat a swinging mooring, it’s proper boating, not a boat farm in a marina :)