Moorings in Cork Harbour (IE)

FlipF1up

Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently moved to Cork from the UK with a 26ft sailing boat, and I've had real difficulty finding a swing mooring. I had naively assumed that it would be possible to rent one from the harbour authority or council, but it seems that the harbour only gives permission to lay moorings yourself rather than renting them out directly as is often the case in the UK. I've applied through their website but to be honest I'm not holding my breath.
I've heard talk that some people privately rent out their moorings but I haven't as yet been able to get in touch with anyone. Does anyone have any ideas of where else to look?
Thanks in advance

penfold

Visit site
If it's anything like the UK the moorings will be laid by a contractor, or perhaps more than one and each will have their own 'patch'; best place to ask would be at the sailing club, it's possible they may deal with their own moorings if they're big enough to employ boatmen but will also know who runs what in the harbour. Worth asking at local boatyards too.

cid

Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently moved to Cork from the UK with a 26ft sailing boat, and I've had real difficulty finding a swing mooring. I had naively assumed that it would be possible to rent one from the harbour authority or council, but it seems that the harbour only gives permission to lay moorings yourself rather than renting them out directly as is often the case in the UK. I've applied through their website but to be honest I'm not holding my breath.
I've heard talk that some people privately rent out their moorings but I haven't as yet been able to get in touch with anyone. Does anyone have any ideas of where else to look?
Thanks in advance
Contact local clubs..There is no equivalent to the crown estate in Ireland. Harbours are different. One gets a train wagon wheel and chain and away you go in my neck of the woods. By the way I have one or two moorings but I am not down your way.

Neil

Visit site
When I bought my last boat, it was on a swinging mooring further up-channel from Crosshaven and the Royal Cork Yacht Club. They might be able to point you in the right direction.