Moorings ‘Dries x metres’ ??

FL390

Visit site
As per the title. What does dries to X metres mean exactly?

For example in Chichester, D - dries more than 2.5m

C - dries 1.1m to dries 2.5m

Elsewhere I have seen terms such as 3/4 tide mooring. Is that reference to Springs or just a generalisation?

Perhaps I’m missing something obvious. I would have thought a height above CD would be more intuitive.

Last edited:

FL390

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I couldn’t see the wood for the trees.

If we take the C class of mooring (dries 1.1m to 2.5m) that is a MASSIVE difference in accessibility offered for the same class, and price, of mooring.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
This is something you would learn about on a RYA Theory Course.
If you placed your boat at a location marked as "dries 2.5m",( i.e. the chart shows a green area with a little underscore under the " 2.5m", at the time of an Equinoctial Spring Tide, Low Water), with Atmospheric Pressure at more than 1013 Hectopascales, and no prospect of a storm surge, it would be sitting on the sand/mud, 2.5 metres higher than the nearest water.

FL390

Visit site
Thanks Spirit that is all well understood. It was the nomenclature of the categories that I was questioning.

My confusion was looking at a single specific mooring and not considering the moorings as a whole group. Over which of course there will be a range of drying heights ?‍♂️.