Mooring

G

I own a Freedom 30 and am about to take up a mooring in the Med. I have to moor either stern or aft to a pontoon. I have no experience of this. Bearing in mind, that I have a bowsprit with an anchor and the main mast at the bow, aft I have a large rudder and wind vane steering. Not as agile as I used to be so any advice would be useful.

G

Pauline,

This is more by way of saying hello, than a real answer to your question. It is one of the reasons we carry a long ladder on board, as it serves as an emergency passurelle when we have been faced with this situation. The yacht is hauled forward just enough to keep the stern clear.

With your yacht I'd definitely moor bows to. Your bowsprit is quite short isn't it? (Just keep your fingers crossed the mooring doesn't drag!)

G

Pauline,

I'd agree with Andrew. Go bows to. You can buy a four-part aluminium folding ladder which makes a superb passarelle, was on sale in Homebase, extends from 900mm to 3.3m.

Suggest you rig your kedge in a quick-release on the pushpit with the chain (stick with chain, reports of many naughty fishermen cutting rodes) on a drum, which you pay out as you motor in. Use a cable with hitch onto the sheet winches to bring it in and a bridle to adjust how you lie to.

Get one of the patent buoy pickups on a 3m boathook, (mine is from a company in Marseille) and use that from the foredeck to pick up your forrad mooring. I find it works even single handed, especially if you have a few boats already there - enlightened self-interest does the rest and people flock to help (except for Brits who are shy).

Many advanteges, not least of all relative privacy, reduced likelihood of damage to rudder/helice and reduced likelihood of local cats/rats visiting.

G

Pauline,

I'd agree with Andrew. Go bows to. You can buy a four-part aluminium folding ladder which makes a superb passarelle, was on sale in Homebase, extends from 900mm to 3.3m.

Suggest you rig your kedge in a quick-release on the pushpit with the chain (stick with chain, reports of many naughty fishermen cutting rodes) on a drum, which you pay out as you motor in. Use a cable with hitch onto the sheet winches to bring it in and a bridle to adjust how you lie to.

Get one of the patent buoy pickups on a 3m boathook, (mine is from a company in Marseille) and use that from the foredeck to pick up your forrad mooring. I find it works even single handed, especially if you have a few boats already there - enlightened self-interest does the rest and people flock to help (except for Brits who are shy).

Many advanteges, not least of all relative privacy, reduced likelihood of damage to rudder/helice and of local cats/rats visiting.

G

Get a large plastic funnel and fasten it with your mooring line through it and the open end facing the shore. It will keep any rats or cats off.