Mooring Warp Pole Holders for Finger Berths

Dann

Visit site
In a number of marinas, mainly non UK, I have seen vertical poles about 1m high that are flexible by having a spring at the base used to support mooring lines attached to finger berths; thus allowing the incoming vessel's crew to lean over and pick up the appropriate warp and drop it on a deck cleat, instead of having to jump off vessel on to pontoon and locate warp or find cleat. This to me seems a very sensible way of organizing ones home berth and saving possible injury to ones crew. However, I have not come across any suitable flexible pole. Does anyone know where such a device can be found, or suggestions how they could be constructed ?

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Plastimo used to offer these as an accessory to their dock fender products, but I don't think they are still available. Last time I saw one was in Marine Superstore in Port Solent, so I guess they might be worth a call?

Cheers
Jimmy

MoodySabre

Visit site
The alternative is have a length of plastic pipe over the warp which you push into a clip on the pontoon or jam between the boards so that it stands up for grabbing.

I've not seen the Plastimo ones for sale around here and I think that some marinas aren't keen on things being screwed to the pontoons (except the berth-holders of course!).

chuzzlewit

Visit site
Mine works like this and cost nothing : to the end of the finger berth a wooden broom handle is tied so that it pivots freely about 9 inches from the end of the broom handle. A clay drain pipe dangles from the end of the broom handle about 5 feet below the water surface : it cannot foul the propellor and holds the handle vertically but flexibly to avoid the handle snapping.6 inches of hose is pushed 3 inches onto the handle . 4 inches of wooden dowel are tied to the end of the mooring line and if placed in the hose will hold the line securely in grabbing reach but allow it to come away freely when grabbed.