mooring probs

banus

Visit site
My berth is stern to. I had a problem with the bowrider and I havn't tried the sundancer on it yet but........ What do i do with the bouy that I tie on to at the bow? Do I just reverse over it and kick out of gear and let it bounce back up.
All sensible ideas gratefully accepted

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Stern to mooring is always a bugger unless you have wide pitched shaft drives.
Not really sure why you have a bouy because I can't see it serves any useful purpose other than I guess to help you identify whether you should be picking up the right or left hand line from the stern to bring forward and it surely will get in the way. Don't run over it, even out of gear. The line will go straight down (hopefully) so you can brush it as you reverse in. Someone on the bow can pick it up which will help to steady things until you have stern sorted.
clear as mud...best of luck
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
agreed

banus, couldn't you have them do away with the buoy? - just run the line back to the jetty, or tie on another flimsy line, tied permanently to the quayside. Then you have a clear route to reverse into, pick the line from the quay, haul it up and eventually haul up the thinker line conected to soem concrete or whatever on seabed. A buoy wd be fine for bows-to raggies who can just lasso the buoy, imho...

<hr width=100% size=1>

banus

Visit site
Thanks guys. well the problem is the mooring is very tight and the boat is moored with 2 sternlines and the bowline off the buoy. If I don't use the buoy I can lift up the thingy from the stern to get my bow line but it is muddy mucky and barnacles cut my hands and the boat gets filthy. i struggle to get reversed in usually hitting the buoy when out of gear. I then tie up to the stern cleats, get my breath back and put a running line thro one of the stern lines,push the boat forward while holding the running line,pic up the bow buoy,tie this to the cleat,pull the boat back in with the running line and fix the stern lines. Not easy especially when it's 32 degrees hot and you have an audience. I am always on my own. SWIMBO doesn't know the boat goes anywhere. She thinks it's for sunbathing/posing on.
When this is all done it,s great because the boat is nice and tight and doesn,t bounce off my next door neighbours

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Jeez! Expert advice on stern-to mooring

Harumph, Thisis no good at all, banus. First off, explain to swmbo vast expense of boat, lack of expertise, hour of need, pulling together, teamwork and so forth. Then put all previous attempts down to sheer luck. Explain use of boathook to get lines ashore, and use of smile whilst clad in swimwear to attract quayside help. Fit oversize fenders at all sides, and back.

Consider calling marineros on entry to port, explaining vast inexpertise over vhf to anyone and everyone. Your aim is to make sure that the whole pontton if not the entire marina is aware of the need to be up on deck and fendering you off.

Equip swmbo with B+Q gloves for valued task of getting the lines on. Reverse in over newly-fully-submerged lines and into berth, and asking swmbo for directions forwards and back which obviously, you ignore.

For day trips, hook the lazy line(s) to forward bowline over the fenders of the boats next door to alleviate barnacley ropes, and/or replace rope and hookem on to your fenders when away for long periods to avoid cholera-infested lazy line. Get swmbo to attach rear lines, or just the one will do, and getter to take forward line to the bow whilst you importantly race the engines.

If you have them measured, and the wind is blowing you off, you can hook rear lines on (or she can ) and then use elec windlass to get nice tight rear lines, and then supervise crossed lines. If she hasd any spare time the electric shorepower line always needs cleaning with jif, or a g+t would be nice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

EME

www.lumishore.com

The aforementioned advice also leads to :-

a) Knackered mediate ligament and worse
b) Sublimely ruptured anterior cruciate .....

Only qualification is add several ( 1+) bottles of hooch.

Then again , it works for the normally challenged , not idiots..

SWMBO ( plural) still think advice is sound though....

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>I am WHAT I say I am</font color=blue>

coliholic

Visit site

Oh medical terms very impressive Learner. I wonder if you can advise on what to do about my problem.

I have this sort of dull ache in my right buttock that extends all down my leg. Doctor has suggested putting some weight on the the area. Said best idea was to add a shilling to my rear pocket. Do you agree with his diagnosis? If so where do I obtain said "cure".

<hr width=100% size=1>

banus

Visit site
Thanks Dave. I thought I might try and fix something to try and submerge the buoy
like a pully off the bottom with a line to the dock and a cleat and pull like hell and submerge the buoy. sound a bit daft but why not

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Whoever provides the mooring should (and generally will be) quite helpful. What you need is for a thin line (bout 15-20m) to be taken from the quayside to the line currently connected to the underside of the buoy, and for that line to be disconnected from the buoy - they win a spare buoy. The whole line will sink.

Please don't try weighting down the buoy, or er nailing it to the bottom with pulleys - the reason this souns a bit daft is cos it is - the buoy may be at the bottom, or not, and it'll do it's best to come up again. If you actuaklly did manage it, your forward line from boat would be hellish to use with the bows trying to lift the the buoy and the weight/pulleys holding it down.

<hr width=100% size=1>