Mooring in a marina without permission

bullshorns

Visit site
I was renting a berth on an inland marina but my contract has ended. If I remain on the mooring without permission am I breaking the law. Can they make me move without getting a court order? I asked to stay longer for just 2 weeks but they said no despite there being no problems with my contract before.

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Cant you just tell them you are renewing and delay signing the paperwork for 2 weeks and then change your mind.. Pay them for 2 weeks and leave.

maby

Visit site
You will not be breaking any criminal law - your position will be effectively as a squatter or trespasser. The marina would have to get a court order requiring you to leave and, if you ignore that, the position changes - you would be defying a court order and that could get the law involved.

I don't know how actively the various marinas communicate - be careful of annoying them unnecessarily - you may find that applications for berths in other marinas start to be refused.

bullshorns

Visit site
Thanks for that. I"ve read it. We don't intend to stay for more than 4 weeks, or even less. But after being attacked on the canal side by yobs trying to steal from our boat we were afraid to stay there. We shall be contacting the marina office early on Monday to sort out the situation hopefully as we don't want to annoy other berth holders. We aren't scroats just an elderly couple who are giving up boating next month and just want a bit of security until then. There are no other marinas or secure places in the area. I know that being here is not strictly right but we don't have another option as I've got to stay close by to get to physio due to a fall I suffered a few weeks ago.

Poignard

Visit site
Thanks for that. I"ve read it. We don't intend to stay for more than 4 weeks, or even less. But after being attacked on the canal side by yobs trying to steal from our boat we were afraid to stay there. We shall be contacting the marina office early on Monday to sort out the situation hopefully as we don't want to annoy other berth holders. We aren't scroats just an elderly couple who are giving up boating next month and just want a bit of security until then. There are no other marinas or secure places in the area. I know that being here is not strictly right but we don't have another option as I've got to stay close by to get to physio due to a fall I suffered a few weeks ago.
I am sorry to hear of your difficulties and I hope you can get things sorted out satisfactorily.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Hopefully if you explain that to the marina and are willing to pay for the two weeks they will be accommodating. If not then name and shame and or get the press involved. A human interest story like that is likely to be picked up.

bullshorns

Visit site
Thanks for your comments everyone. We will be speaking to the marina owners again on Monday and hope we can sort it then. At least we'll have had a relatively peaceful weekend.

bullshorns

Visit site
How did you get on ?
Happily we spoke to the area manager who gave us a week on the marina. We hoped for 2 or 3 weeks but beggars can't be choosers. There is no valid reason why they shouldn't let us stay but we are happy and legal now. We are paying for the time here and they have put an electric supply on for us. Good news! Our solicitor says we can most likely move into our new house next week which means we can move the boat away from this crime ridden area to a safer place then come home. Thanks for asking.

Firestone

Visit site
Given that you both intend to get away from boating, have you considered using the services of a boat brokerage company that would have marina access and allow you to settle the bill when the vessel is sold?