Mooring consultant

samuel

Visit site
I have the job of finding a QUALIFIED consultant who can advise on the correct spec for laying moorings in the river Blackwater. I don't mean " old so & so who has done it for years" unfortunately the insurance Co's are not that impressed . They need people with proof of ability & professional indemnity insurance themselves, who can give the correct advice.
Can anyone put me on the right track?
The RYA were most unhelpful !!! I did think of trying Southampton university but getting the right contact is extremely difficult without a name.
Many thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>Justisla

Talbot

Visit site
why dont you talk to a yacht surveyor, bet they have a contact, or asl the insurance company if they have any recomendations

<hr width=100% size=1>

Joe_Cole

Visit site
It may be worth trying a different insurance company. Or try a local marine insurance broker who will have experience of this problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailorman

Visit site
talk to Peter Clements

Marine & Commercial Insurance Services Ltd
P O Box 3321
West Mersea
Colchester
Essex
CO5 8NB
hes a local & will be pleased to advise + he does reasonable quotes
cheers
roger

<hr width=100% size=1>

hylas

Visit site
Please give me the characteristics of the boat to be moored (hylas@free.fr) and I will give you (for free) the spec of your mooring

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
The river warden in Maldon has specifications for moorings on the Blackwater which are set by the county council. If that doesn't satisfy your insurers I suggest you change insurers!

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
Doesn't sound like a very good deal where your insurance company want you to find someone to carry the risk and indemnity insurance for your mooring. So if the mooring fails they can't lose. You got to be joking. Moorings should be installed using hardware way beyond adequate to give as long a life as possible. You should design and fit the mooring with harware you have available but way over sized then if necessary get someone they accept to agree that it is way oversized. If you got a commercial company to fit an adequate mooring you would find it done at min. chain size etc and would consequently wear through in 12 months. The insurance company would then require a re survey (replacement) every year. do it yourself if you can if not specify the hardware yourself IMHO. will

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
What about your local boatyard? Mine has just laid a mooring for me - a huge lump of concrete with massive ship chain embedded with a heavy chain to a buoy - reckons it should last 15 years before renewal - although it will be inspected yearly for insurance company.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

SteveGorst

Visit site
What's the qualification called that they are looking for. I haven't come across the GCSE in laying moorings yet!!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nwcc.info>North Wales Cruising Club</A>

samuel

Visit site
Sorry!!! forgot to tell you it relates to 80 No. moorings & several insurance Co's
Just putting in massive oversized lumps will not be economic or practical. We have to lift these things out for inspection every 3 years at least. The equipment we have cannot cope with excessive tackle & owners shun excessive costs.
The chain usually lasts about 3 years prior to needing chain
Regards

andy_wilson

Visit site
What if you can't design and fit the mooring way oversized with the hardware you have available? 'Cos you only have undersized stuff laying around!!

I don't think the insurance will expect the mooring meister to carry thge risk of indemnity. It appears they are happy to accept the risk as long a competent other has installed and maintained the mooring tackle.

Most harbour or river authorities set down the minimum standards by boat length or weight, location, and determine what ground tackle and weights, ground chain, risers, pennants, hardware and even what buoys are acceptable sometimes.

I guess their insurers will also have an interest in this being up to the job.

Where they get thier information from I hesitate to guess. Lloyds, MCA, DTI? Who knows.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Whereabouts on the Blackwater? It's pretty crowded every where you could put moorings now. Below the Fisheries mark just west of Stone the responsibility for the sea bed is the Crown, above it's Maldon District COuncil

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"

kireonriley

Visit site
i was recently in new zeland and there is a mooring available there which is only required to be checked every five years i do know that the maker of this system was after a distibutor in england and may by now have one but it must be worth a look i think the email add. is moor4u.com it has no chain and only one swivell KIERON

<hr width=100% size=1>

samuel

Visit site
It does not matter where ! When I find the CON sultant he will know the answer. Still no one seems to know one.
Just have to keep looking Many thanks anyway
PS No your wrong its not a business or a sailing club. Try animal vegetable or mineral
Cheers