mooring / anchoring - rules

saltyanchor

Visit site
I'd like to build a catamaran. I want a swinging mooring (cheap). I currently pay for a swinging mooring (mono hull). All my own ground tackle. Now if it never dries, why does one have to pay? What are the rules about below low water mark etc? What is the difference from anchoring in a river? CAN one anchor ('Permanently') in a river and just visit / sail away when one wants?
Ta

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicMallows

Visit site
You don't reveal where you are, but around here (Solent) you are very likely to be charged for anchoring just over night. Especially in rivers. All depends on who 'owns' (leases) the seabed. We locals have it worked out.

Vic

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Re: East coast

"The law of property abhors a vacuum"

The situation in most places is that the seabed is leased by the Crown Estate to the local Fairways Committee who charge ground rent on moorings to cover the cost of the lease and their administrative costs. I do recall however that back in the early 70's there was a lawsuit brought by a local landowner concerning West Mersea because arguably title to the seabed there had been granted away by the Crown to run with the deeds of his property; the Yacht Clubs and boatyards settled the case so they have title.

In a very few places there is no Fairways Committee.

So no, you don't have the right to lay a mooring as you please and pay nobody.

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site

Are you sure you were thinking!

Long live the right to anchor, but you are suggesting complete anarchy.

This is a legal minefield without the boat safety/ security and insurance issues.

It would be interesting if you contact the water bailiff and let us know what he says.

All the best.
Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>

ex-Gladys

Visit site

Above the fisheries buoys (between Thirslet and No.1) river is the prerogative of Maldon District Council. Below that point Crown Commissioners.

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"