moonraker 350 and the sea

moonraker boats

Visit site
hi all i am buying a moonraker 350 1975 and was wondering if anyone knows what they are like in the sea. rough weather or what is the roughest sea they can go in.

vas

Visit site
a fair amount of literature around the web, came across and read it?
iirc there was a small(ish?) complain on following seas (but that's for many boats...)
There's also a dedicated website and ppl around. :)
I had all that as I was looking for one a couple of years ago, finally didn't materialise, so scrapped the folder with all info.

ah, and welcome onboard :D

cheers

V.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

They haven't got a very good reputation in a following sea

moonraker boats

Visit site
yes i have herd people say this before but i can not find any imformation to back this up. does anyone own one and used it in rough sea or are there any test results i can read

sharpness

Visit site
Loads of information on Moonrakers can be found on the following website (hopefully i've posted link correctly)

http://www.moonraker.dk/eng_index.htm

On this forum i think you will find Moonrakers are a bit like marmite, you either love em or hate em. Me personally, i love em.
The prices of some of them on the market now mean you get a lot of boat for your money.
Handling wise in head seas no problem, beam on will roll a bit but nothing worse then others. Issue can be a following sea where the back end can pushed round, though in fairness owners i've spoken to say you learn to live with it.
During a survey don't be surprised if osmosis is found, though pending how bad and the asking price i wouldn't let it worry me too much.
Engines are usually Perkins, good reliable lumps, and people on here in the past have advised me that parts for these are readily available, only version to check for parts is the horizontal version HT6354 , which i understand is hard to get some parts for now. The T6354 should be all good.

moonraker boats

Visit site
thankyou
the one im looking at is the 1975 model e with the perkins t6354 engines. i have looked at the sitw in question and there is a lot of imformation on there but not much about handling in rough seas. once we have the boat in the marina we will take some pic and i have started a blof if anyone wants to follow what we are doing

burgundyben

Visit site
thankyou
the one im looking at is the 1975 model e with the perkins t6354 engines. i have looked at the sitw in question and there is a lot of imformation on there but not much about handling in rough seas. once we have the boat in the marina we will take some pic and i have started a blof if anyone wants to follow what we are doing

Its a big hefty boat for a pair of T6's, the one for sale on the Hamble has now got M225Ti's I think.

moonraker 36

Visit site
ha a man with plenty of sense...moonraker's rule...
just spent the last 4 yrs restoring a '72 350.
zero osmoiswas found when it was surveyed.
only really done trip's down the humber to run the engines in and to find any teething problems.anyone who no's the humber will tell you how hairy it can get.
last few times down it was blowing f7-8's and it couped very very well with the conditions.
was sat outside hull marina waiting for the lock,with the waves on the arse end and it never moved abit just sat their bobbing about in a staight line.
brilliant boat very easy to handle even single handed.
will miss mine very much(under offer at the mo.).
my engine are fully recon by perkins so reliabity as'nt been a problem~(but i have had perk's before and never had any issues with them)also very easy to service yourself.

the chap i got the boat of fetched it from yarmouth agian in rough condition and he say he never once felt worried even thou he could'nt swim.
enjoy.........................

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I have worked on a few, ther have upright Perkins , so ht parts issue not a problem, I can get the wet type manifolds easy now they were obsolete . I've come across one with fords in too.

There ok up to 20 knots then they chine ride like the fairline 40s .

MystereMarcus

Visit site
As has been already stated they had a reputation for being a handful when there was a sea on the aft quarter. That said they were a very popular boat with very elegant lines (I certainly thought so). Motorboat and Yachting owned one in the late 70's, one of their trip reports can be found here:
http://www.moonraker.dk/danish/Bibliotek/Rejsebeskrivelser/197902.MBY.pdf
They also did a group test in 1973 which included the Moonraker, a copy is here:
http://www.moonraker.dk/danish/Bibliotek/Reklamer/19730914MBY.pdf

Another good source of information about the boat and the company is the book available at:
http://www.moonrakerboats.com/

Going for a 1975 model is a good move, there were a few changes including increased spray rails and changing the entrance to the wheelhouse from an opening door to sliding patio windows.
Is the boat you are looking at based in Brighton?
Good luck with the purchase and keep us posted.

moonraker boats

Visit site
the boat i have made an offer on is in norfolk but i did look at one in brighton but i think it needed a little to much work. i intend to do some work and would like to get what ever i get into a very good standard.

thankyou for thr links i will be reading asap

Trundlebug

Visit site
Just to add to what's been said.

Farndon Commodore has owned one for years and has been all sorts of places, in all sorts of conditions along the east coast and Humber region.

He told one tale of either going to or coming back from Lowestoft and conditions were, er, lively. Waves were so high they could only occasionally see another boat travelling with them.

At one point he said a wave hit beam on and the boat went right over onto its side, such that the water touched the side windows:eek:... the boat just righted and carried on.

So if you're concerned about their ability at sea, don't be.