moonraker 350 and the sea

Dino

Visit site
Hi all,
I'm interested in a Moonraker 350, it's actually the one linked earlier in this thread on Apolloduck. I'm hoping to view it in the next week or two. Are there any specific things to look for?
What is the difference between the T and HT 6354's?
I've heard that the front windows can leak. Are there any telltale signs?
It's a 1973 boat. Is this the one with the wooden sprayrails and fibreglass diesel tanks.
I plan to eep it on the river/lakes. Is there any issue running these engines at low speeds?
Any advice appreciated.

Greg2

Visit site
The difference between the engines is that the T is a traditional up right engine whereas the HT is laid flat (well nearly) to reduce height i.e. the H stands for horizontal. Fairly sound engines....we had the HT's in a Broom Ocean 37. Service parts fairly inexpensive but finding some parts can be a challenge as they are no longer in production. When we had them there was talk of someone making exhaust manifolds but I was never able to verify this. Our HT's were prone to oil leaks but not a major issue if you can learn to live with it and mop up occasionally. They are turbo engines so really like to run at higher revs and there is talk that such engines can suffer from bore glazing if continually run at lower speeds. That said there are plenty in boats that have been on the rivers for years.

The Broom Owners Club (they have a website) may be a useful source of information as the HT's were fitted to the Ocean 37, Continental 37 and the Crown 37 (most of which are on rivers) so plenty about.

Dino

Visit site
Thanks Greg2,
The vertical T6354's sound like a better setup when compared with the HT's on all the Brooms. I had heard of the availability problems with the HT's oil pumps, etc. From what I've read online and I've spoken to a past owner of 6354's, they seem to be good old lumps suitable for DIY servicing and with fairly cheap parts.
The one I am going to look at had the manifold replaced on one engine, was this a common problem?
Also, were these boats known for osmosis or leaks?
The layout seems goodbut the internal driving position is more of a wheelhouse than a saloon. I see some people have installed nice extra bench seats to make more seating.
Are there any other areas to be wary of?

Greg2

Visit site
Can't help too much with the boat really. We looked at one or two a few years back as a potential option and I don't recall becoming aware of any particular issues on osmosis or leaks.

On the engines I gave a vague recollection about the exhaust manifolds sometimes being an issue, which is why there was someone making them as I recall. Otherwise agree that they are solid old lumps, cheap to maintain and okay for DIY.

highbridgeflyer

Visit site
They are great boats. My dad owned his from 1979 - 2001. The best thing we did was to build the enclosed wheelhouse. My dad managed to get hold of the original Moonraker plans, and with a couple of subtle changes we did it ourselves.
As for cruising abillity, our boat was based on the Lincolnshire coast and from there had passages to, Scotland, NE coast, South coast and Solent, Holland, Belgium, France and down through to the Med. I think dad has a photo of his boat moored in Monaco somewhere!!!!
Engines wise, we had the 175hp T6354's. The intercoolers used to have to come off every now and then due to sediment blockage, and we had a few issues with the header tanks, but nothing major. The boat was as economical cruising at 9knts as it was at 14kts.
Dad and me have been out in all weathers and the only thing that tends to bother it is a following sea off of the rear quarter. In that position it tends to wallow like a pregnant pig.
The boat was used every weekend and holidays. It got used on the River Trent as well as at sea and was a great boat. It is still based on the Trent at East Bridgeford today, with the chap my dad sold it to.
Sadly due to health issues dad had to part company with it after 21 years of ownership. It was the only time I have ever seen him with a tear in his eye!!
Oh and the best bit is regardless model, it has a bit of Colin Chapman dna running through it.
The link is from the Danish owners club site, and is a picture of my parents and their boat at Trent Falls.

http://www.moonraker.dk/danish/International_Register/branrimis_1971.Large.htm

moonraker 36

Visit site
They are great boats. My dad owned his from 1979 - 2001. The best thing we did was to build the enclosed wheelhouse. My dad managed to get hold of the original Moonraker plans, and with a couple of subtle changes we did it ourselves.
As for cruising abillity, our boat was based on the Lincolnshire coast and from there had passages to, Scotland, NE coast, South coast and Solent, Holland, Belgium, France and down through to the Med. I think dad has a photo of his boat moored in Monaco somewhere!!!!
Engines wise, we had the 175hp T6354's. The intercoolers used to have to come off every now and then due to sediment blockage, and we had a few issues with the header tanks, but nothing major. The boat was as economical cruising at 9knts as it was at 14kts.
Dad and me have been out in all weathers and the only thing that tends to bother it is a following sea off of the rear quarter. In that position it tends to wallow like a pregnant pig.
The boat was used every weekend and holidays. It got used on the River Trent as well as at sea and was a great boat. It is still based on the Trent at East Bridgeford today, with the chap my dad sold it to.
Sadly due to health issues dad had to part company with it after 21 years of ownership. It was the only time I have ever seen him with a tear in his eye!!
Oh and the best bit is regardless model, it has a bit of Colin Chapman dna running through it.
The link is from the Danish owners club site, and is a picture of my parents and their boat at Trent Falls.

http://www.moonraker.dk/danish/International_Register/branrimis_1971.Large.htm

welcome to the forum...
good of you to share them fond memory's..
maybe people will stop knocking the raker for it's capabilty's at sea now.

Greg2

Visit site
maybe people will stop knocking the raker for it's capabilty's at sea now.

Don't think their sea keeping abilities were particularly in question bar the issue with a quartering sea. I remember reading an old report of a sea trial by one of the mags who reported good sea keeping, particularly in a head sea as I recall.

highbridgeflyer

Visit site
Don't think their sea keeping abilities were particularly in question bar the issue with a quartering sea. I remember reading an old report of a sea trial by one of the mags who reported good sea keeping, particularly in a head sea as I recall.

I think it was reported by Ray Bulman in MBY. I think I may have the article somewhere in the archives.
I must admit, when out in a head sea, it was great fun. It wasn't the first time that big bowrail was punched into a wave and you watched a wall of green stuff rolling along the cabin roof!!!!
I think the worst Dad and me had was an early evening passage from Ramsgate to Harwich. That turned into a nightmare 10hr night passage due to the sea state. But that hull kept going through it.
I have crewed on many boats, and yes in terms of sea keeping there are better options out there. But the Moonraker 36 Softrider will always hold a special place with me.

moonraker 36

Visit site

if you go back over some old post..greg2 they have been slated in the past.
just nice to here of the been mentioned in a more favourable way..

joe kavanagh

Visit site
New Moonreker owner

Dear all
I have just joined this forum today. I am in the process of buying a 1972 moonraker with fly bridge called Zermatt. Does anybody know this boat? Has anyone completed a restoration recently.
joe