moonraker 350 1979 restoration

ithet

Visit site
Years ago on my dad's non-flybridge. It was fairly simple to take off the hardtop. The 6354 needed a new crankshaft and rod.

Momac

Visit site
Oddly enough near neighbour in the marina called Alan has a Moonraker 350 flybridge.
The floor of the flybridge is removable (maybe not easily ).
Or why not take the engine apart in and raise the main block up within the boat for rebuilding in situ ?

alan mal

Visit site
Oddly enough near neighbour in the marina called Alan has a Moonraker 350 flybridge.
The floor of the flybridge is removable (maybe not easily ).
Or why not take the engine apart in and raise the main block up within the boat for rebuilding in situ ?
Massive engine would rather get it out and refurb all. Very bad back pressure.needs complete strip down.

Surfacesub

Visit site
Massive engine would rather get it out and refurb all. Very bad back pressure.needs complete strip down.
Just interested in the back pressure--are you referring to 1) exhaust back pressure or 2) crank case pressure?
Thought my interference might save you a lot of hassle. Have you discovered the reason for the back pressure? Then several external component to explore reference 1 or 2 first of!
Internally if the rings are seized and the landings are beyond recovery I have read that the 6354 pistons are no longer available.
Not all doom and gloom yet!

Restoration man

Visit site
Just interested in the back pressure--are you referring to 1) exhaust back pressure or 2) crank case pressure?
Thought my interference might save you a lot of hassle. Have you discovered the reason for the back pressure? Then several external component to explore reference 1 or 2 first of!
Internally if the rings are seized and the landings are beyond recovery I have read that the 6354 pistons are no longer available.
Not all doom and gloom yet!

Who says pistons are not available?75D3EF7E-D784-4CF9-A412-32CC22E2755C.png

burgundyben

Visit site
Why would you bother? That cost to end up with a 6.354.

A Perkins Sabre M130C up to an M215C or Cummins 6bt 180hp would all slot in really easy. Good used ones out there. Both SAE3 bellhousing so no need for any gearbox or adapter plate changes.

Gotta make more sense that rebuilding a 6.354.

Restoration man

Visit site
Why would you bother? That cost to end up with a 6.354.

A Perkins Sabre M130C up to an M215C or Cummins 6bt 180hp would all slot in really easy. Good used ones out there. Both SAE3 bellhousing so no need for any gearbox or adapter plate changes.

Gotta make more sense that rebuilding a 6.354.

I think that’s great price for rebuild kit , ok a Cummins 6bt is a better engine ,a used Untested one costs about 1k for an untested one plus all Marinisation parts , I would stick with the Perkins There nearly the same hp If it’s a “mgt “ Perkins engine 175hp So not much gain in speed , and i doubt the Cummins would be much more fuel efficient

Ferris

Visit site
In fairness Latestarter always referred to the HT engines as being the issue, specifically pistons for the contrarotating engine IIRC and scavanger oil pumps for the dry sump.

The 6354's in a Moonraker are vertical engines I think, which were truck engines also so there should be plenty of parts and have normal wet sumps.

Restoration man

Visit site
In fairness Latestarter always referred to the HT engines as being the issue, specifically pistons for the contrarotating engine IIRC and scavanger oil pumps for the dry sump.

The 6354's in a Moonraker are vertical engines I think, which were truck engines also so there should be plenty of parts and have normal wet sumps.

that is a fair point , And lots of people get the horizontal engines mixed up with the vertical ones ,Both seem to get tarred with the same brush ,
anyway on slightly different note ,give me a boat with an older style engine (no Ecu or electric injectors) any day , you can pretty much guarantee your getting home, and that’s important out at sea