Moodys

chunk001

Visit site
Hi gang.
I'd like to hear from current and exmoody owners. We dont see a lot of these boats in Australia but my research is telling me that they would make a nice liveaboard for some long term cruising. I'd love to hear some positives and negatives. There some around the $100,000 AU mark which is in my price bracket (36 - 38ft) but these are mid 80s boats however lots have had refits. What do you guys think. I will be sailing by myself, in no hurry to get anywhere and though initially I wont being doing long treks, but down the track I'd like to.
I appreciate your comments.
C

Tranona

Visit site
Suggest you try www.moodyowners.org.uk lots of information. The 37/376 of this era is very popular as a live aboard and long distance cruiser. Prices in Europe are £55-70k bit above your budget. Late 70's 36, 39 and 40 are within your price range. Go to YBW com brokerage and search Moody in UK and Spain to see range available here

Good luck

Amari

Visit site
Recent Moodys have a good reputation but I am less certain about the mid 80's jobs. Friends have a ?1984 33 centre cockpit model which is frankly tacky and has a bulkhead bisecting one of the windows. They find the aft cabin too hot to sleep in the Med.

Tranona

Visit site
Agree about the earlier Angus Primrose designs which are not finished very well. However many are used as live aboards, perhaps because of the low price in relation to their capabilities and accommodation. The 39/40 in particular is a very spacious boat and there is one for sale for about £30k, although they usually fetch £45-50k. The later Bill Dixoin designs from 1984/5 onwards are much more modern and this is reflected in the price.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I think they are marvelous boats - particularly the Angus Primrose design.. very comfortable accommodation, sail well and hold their price.. I am a little biased - in mine I sailed to Oz via Caribbean, East coast USA, Panama etc then withstood 65 knots in Lady Musgrave lagoon. Then she took me back to Europe via Thailand, Indian Ocean, Red Sea etc.... She looked better when I got her than when I purchased her 10 years before which says something for Angus Primrose design and the quality of the build -- so that's my vote for 'old Moodys'

Michael

capnsensible

Visit site
My wife and I have lived on our 30 year old Moody for almost 10 years. Was looking for a 36, but found this 33. Probably the best yacht in the world!!!!! Perfect for what you want to do, I would say, but I could be a bit biased here....

Saddletramp

Visit site
I agree with the Capn. The 33 is great value for money and should be loads of space for 1. I have been looking at the 333 rather longingly as the walk through rear cabin is convenient but the leap in price is too much for me.

Interesting to hear the comments on build quality though.

There are also MOA members in Australia and the MOA has dedicated members that give technical advice on their own particular model.

Try www.yachtworld.com.

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
We've got a Moody Eclipse which is a great hull for liveaboard / cruising with plenty of volume, headroom and bunklength (I'm six foot). I guess the problem with your location would be the expanse of glass in the deck saloon layout. Deck saloons are great in marinas and anchorages because you can sit in comfort and look out at the world, however, when the sun shines they inevitably warm up. We sailed out of Airlie Beach recently in a charter boat with very little glass and that heated up enough to have us wanting to sleep on deck, while down in Melbourne at Christmas I guess the sun would have made an Eclipse untenable. Ironically, Cairns would have been better (rainy season so no direct sun). Again, the expanse of glass doesn't make the design a good ocean boat. One solid green one over the bow and you'd proabably sink. So while I would normally extoll the virtues of the Eclipse because of its spaciousness, these are factors that you need to consider.

Best wishes, and I wish I lived in Oz!

Borden

Visit site
We have a Moody 471. Built 1984 by Moody's in Swanwick. She has been around the world twice and we are refitting to go around again in the next few years. Presently in the Med. On last survey the surveyor said 'they can't afford to build boats of this quality anymore'. 22.3 tonnes build weight for 47 feet tells you something about the thickness of the hull. We find her a very comfortable and surprisingly fast crusier. Always felt very safe in her in all weather.
We would highly recommend Moody's but suggest that if you are going to buy an older one ensure it was built in Moody's own yard at Swanwick (Hamble).

Colin

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
On last survey the surveyor said 'they can't afford to build boats of this quality anymore'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same comment when we bought Guapa (not a Moody)

paul

Visit site
We're on our third Moody (first was a 31, then a 36 and now a 42). Positives: solid, safe, good space, hold price well, great owners site (www.moodyowners.net), last well. Negatives: slow in light winds (less than 10knots), not the cheapest boat, tended to use teak veneer on ply for cockpit seats/sole (peeles and wears out). Boats from 1986 onwards used isophalic resins, so are far less prone to osmosis. Overall very good boats that last well and look after you in bad conditions. Being on my third I obviously rate them!

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
just to throw in my 10p worth.......Moodys luv em

My loverly Moody 30

81%20new%20paint.JPG

& thats 34 year old gel coat..........would like to see a modern boat after 30 odd years look like that!

poter

S

Skyva_2

There are a few Moodys in Oz, the MOA can put you in touch with the owners. In fact 1 owner from Oz is coming to the AGM this Sunday!

Liz_I

Visit site
Ahh, they are lovely and the gel coat always comes up a treat with a clean and polish. Junica moulded '79 commissioned in '81. Lived on board since '95. It's still love.

IM001907.jpg