Moody 40

boathead

Visit site
Posted the same question on another part of the forum but then thought you folks may also have some thoughts or stories? I am looking to buy a Mood 40, early 80's Primrose version. I sail a Westerly 33 ketch currently but my wife and I are planning to live aboard and travel for a few years, grown up kids will join us regularly. So, what's your opinion on the Moody 40 ?

Cheers.

ashtead

Visit site
I am sure many Moody 40 owners on here but have you tried the Moody owners website? I suspect it all depends by now on such things as whether it's been reengined and rigging changed etc but that the basic set up is sound . You don't say where your travels will take you but we thought a newer Moody of similar size was a good boat for future Med sailing . We know of a couple who took the 376 version down to Med so there maybe be others on this forum who can advise on downsides based on your chosen area.

boathead

Visit site
Yep, re-engine with Yanmar 54hp and only 200 hrs on it, I would likely re-rig as I think, whilst relatively new, it's not heavy duty enough for me and I can do myself, I'm reasonably 'handy'. We're not looking towards the Med but West and then the Pacific. Much work done on the one we're looking at, interior refit to a pretty reasonable standard, equipment levels pretty high with wind and autopilot, watermaker, sure you know the drill. They're attractive to us because whilst I'm a Westerly 'nerd' and own a Westerly the Moody is far cheaper as an 'upgrade' than an Oceanlord and far better laid out.

Sundowner 39

Visit site
Theres a ocean Lord that looks good in Trinadad (brokers Dynamite marine) in reality it's only 25 days away. ...just a thought ....and from what I have seen asking prices are negotiable .....
No connection to seller

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Theres a ocean Lord that looks good in Trinadad (brokers Dynamite marine) in reality it's only 25 days away. ...just a thought ....and from what I have seen asking prices are negotiable .....
No connection to seller
We live full time on a 42 , great boat to live on , pleant of room , great sea boat , althought they need wind to get them going . Yesterday we had 18 kts avg speed over 40 miles was 6.5 kts not to bad we sew 8 kts at times so for a 16 tons boat I can't complain.
25 years ago I had an primrose moody 30 , we went out in some heave weather in that , never once did we feel worried .
Westerly are another good boat ,

laika

Visit site
whilst I'm a Westerly 'nerd' and own a Westerly the Moody is far cheaper as an 'upgrade' than an Oceanlord and far better laid out.

As an Oceanlord owner I was interested in this statement and a little surprised as I had always assumed Moody were the more "upmarket" brand. A quick google reveals a confusingly wide range of offer prices for both models. I also wouldn't discount the Sealord. What you loose in sugar scoop and a few inches you'll make up for in purchase price, marina fees and Greek taxes.

EDIT: Ah ha. re-reading you say "early 80s" so presumably the issue is that all the Oceanlords are newer. My Sealord suggestion still stands then...

Not questioning your choice (I'm not familiar with the moody 40) but what about the Oceanlord layout don't you like (and does it apply equally to the mk 1 and mk 2)?

Last edited:

boathead

Visit site
Looked at the Sealord, I do love Westerly yachts, but the same issue as with the Oceanlord, it's the privacy/convenience/comfort issue of the layout. On the Westerly you have two cabins not including the saloon, then you have a berth, but only a berth on the port side as you head to the aft double. There is no storage or privacy in this berth and most are just singles. Now, the Moody 40 gives three cabins not including the saloon. Forward is a double (or two singles) with draws for storage etc between it and the saloon is another cabin with twin bunks and again storage and draws etc. followed by the double to aft. This allows the two daughters forward with room for all their 'stuff' and the two sons in the privacy of their own cabin with bunks followed by my wife and I away on our own in peace in the aft. Still doesn't stop me loving both Oceanlord and Sealord, just not as practical a layout.

ashtead

Visit site
I just wonder with all those cabins on a 40 how squashed the bow cabin is for all the daughters and their stuff? My recollection is that the bow cabin is quite short on the 37 so just be mindful as whether the bow and perhaps more importantly the bunks are long enough to fit the crew and their kit ?

boathead

Visit site
It's a good point to bring up. The 40 compromises the saloon area to create the sleeping accommodation. Our feeling is that this is the reason for the offset in the saloon, six cab sit and allows free movement forward and aft and around the galley area, but if everyone were deciding to 'mill' about, well, it's not gonna work well. So yeah, the forward cabin is good but the trade off is the saloon. The Oceanlord gives the saloon area but has to trade off the third cabin and give you, effectively, a pilot berth in the passage to the aft cabin and whilst some Oceanlords are converted to twin 'pilot' berths there is no privacy or clothes storage. This by the way is in no way a criticism of the Oceanlord which is a really super yacht.