Montenegro annual berth where?

superboots

Visit site
Thinking of taking my British registered yacht from Turkey to Montenegro next year and keeping the boat there for a year or so. In a marina or boat yard so long as its safe - not living on board, laying up in the winter with sailing sessions in Spring and Autumn . Looking for recommendations with a place to keep the boat and any advice on regulations.

AndrewB

Visit site
As you've not had any response yet, perhaps I can share some experience from short visits.

The two obvious places are Porto Montenegro at Tivat and Portonovi Marina at Denovici. I've passed by both, though not actually been in either. They have a reputation as being rather expensive. Also in the Gulf of Kotor is a small marina at Kotor, where I have stayed, which is pleasant but I'm not sure it is suitable for long-term. The bora blows through in winter, and you need a secure berth.

There are also quite large marinas at Bar and Budva. The first I don't much like, finding the staff officious, the second I've only passed by as it seems mostly for motor and fishing boats though there are a few yachts.

For a short-term visit, I've found the bureaucracy reasonable straightforward but a little heavy handed. Make absolutely certain your first stop is at a port of entry, often Bar. Like the EU there is a stay limit for people of 90 days in 180, though I think it may be possible to get that extended. In a yacht I've been asked to give a date of departure on arrival, and been charged accordingly for cruising tax, which is expensive for a short-term stay.

Certainly British yachts are being kept long-term in Montenegro. For advice on the regulations for the yacht, it would be helpful to contact one of the marinas above. English is widely spoken in the tourist industry.

superboots

Visit site
Many thanks for your reply. I got a price for Portonovi but its too high for me. I have been suggested OMC at Bar with a lift out for the winter. 90/180 day rule isn't good so I need to inquire about exemptions

Yngmar

Visit site
Friends wintered at Tivat during Covid. It was a bit pricey and definitely aimed at the higher end. Lots of superyachts wintered there, although mostly without guests (this was before the oligarch war, might look quite different now). There were liveaboard BBQs and spa treatments before Covid hit - afterward there was Zoom videoconference yoga or something like that. The crowd sounded a little bizarre to me from our friends descriptions :ROFLMAO:

Shelter in the gulf was expectedly great although katabatic winds could be nasty.