Montenegro and Albania check-in/out procedures and ports

Irish Rover

Visit site
I'm heading to Croatia in a few weeks to collect my new-to-me boat to prepare for a long trip home to Türkiye. The boat is currently in a marina close to Split and it looks like we can take it to Dubrovnik to complete the export procedure [boat is VAT unpaid].
My plan will be to motor during daylight only and I'd like to limit travel to around 60 miles per day. My initial plan after leaving Dubrovnik, based mainly on distances, will be overnight stops in Bar, Montenegro for check-in and check-out then Durres, Albania for check-in, then Vlore for check-out.
If anyone has any advice about my plan I'd like to hear it. In particular what are check-in and check-out procedures, do I need agents and ,if so, any recommendation Any recommendations for marinas/berthing in those ports for a 13m x 6.7m catamaran and refuelling stations. What about cruising taxes, tourism taxes etc?

evgepr

Visit site
Regarding Montenegro - you can check in and out in many places: Zelenika (the most nothern), Porto Montenegro, Budva, Bar (the most southern). Bar is a good option for that. The customs pier is inside the port. The Marina is on on the opposite side (Home - AD Marina Bar). You do not need an agent for that. Everybody speaks English. There are few groceries 300-500 meters away from marina, many restaraunts and small chandlery.

Also there is a fuel station inside the marina.

If you have time - i would recommend spending couple of days in Kotor Bay. You can do check-in in Zelenika and then move to Kotor. The main landmark is old town of Kotor. And then you can either sail to Bar and do the check out

For sailing in Montenegro you need to buy a vignette. But if you plan just to stay overnight, then you do not have to buy one. The vignette price may depend on the size of the boat, but for 37 feet we paid around 25 eur for 1 week.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
Regarding Montenegro - you can check in and out in many places: Zelenika (the most nothern), Porto Montenegro, Budva, Bar (the most southern). Bar is a good option for that. The customs pier is inside the port. The Marina is on on the opposite side (Home - AD Marina Bar). You do not need an agent for that. Everybody speaks English. There are few groceries 300-500 meters away from marina, many restaraunts and small chandlery.

Also there is a fuel station inside the marina.

If you have time - i would recommend spending couple of days in Kotor Bay. You can do check-in in Zelenika and then move to Kotor. The main landmark is old town of Kotor. And then you can either sail to Bar and do the check out

For sailing in Montenegro you need to buy a vignette. But if you plan just to stay overnight, then you do not have to buy one. The vignette price may depend on the size of the boat, but for 37 feet we paid around 25 eur for 1 week.
Thank you.

Irish Rover

Visit site
We did Bar to Sarande in one hop. Was advised prior of decent agent in Sarande. Had been advised that Durres port was a dreadful place to moor. However things may have changed more recently.
Thank you. Christian Marine, Durres, has good reviews on Navily and I'm attracted by it's proximity to Tirana which is a short bus ride.

HenrikH

Visit site
In Durres, leasure craft are docking in the commercial port. Call up on channel 12 for directions. An agent will be assigned, wait on rhe quay and take care of the formalities. A discomfort are the cockroaches on the quay. We made cones of waterbottle tops for the mooring lines and managed to avoid stowaways.

Last edited: