Monemvasia moorings

fandancer

Visit site
Has anyone been to Monemvasia recently? What is the mooring situation like? Is the 'marina' useable? What are the alternatives? Any hazards?
Thank you, I love you all,
G
x

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
Was there last week They are rebuilding south marina to a very poostandard.Plastic bags old rope ,mooring line are in south part .Not only that they have block the entrance hwd a crane and work boat.local diver dog a wonderful job cutting bags and rope from props .
Small 32 ft yacht lost after port police made us move in north port having coped all night in a 9bf droping to 6 .
Pice insisted that small yacht leaveo even though wr shelteted it with our own through the worst of it

Last edited:

mikegunn

Visit site
What a pity! We were there about six weeks ago. Initially we moored stern to the pontoon. Fortunately we didn't drag but several boats did. As a result we decided to moor alongside the south harbour's wall. Good job we moved because our anchor was only tenuously lodged on the lip of a rock plate. Would not recommend using anchor in the south marina area as there is only a light covering of silt and sand over a rock bed. Alongside the south harbour wall was fine however. Whilst we were there there was a lot of activity along side the marina area in the production of large cubes of concrete. I guess from 1bobt's experience that they were intended for marina improvements. I will look forward to the experiences of others to see how these "improvements" panout.

OldBawley

Visit site
I was there a few times this year, the little south harbour is been rebuild, the holding in front of the North facing wall is very bad, have seen some near accidents there.
So in fact the harbour is useless at the moment. However anchoring North or South of the dyke connecting the old Monemvasia “Rock” with the new village is good and safe. Some swell.

The old town is a must. Worth some rolling.

charles_reed

Visit site
Has anyone been to Monemvasia recently? What is the mooring situation like? Is the 'marina' useable? What are the alternatives? Any hazards?
Thank you, I love you all,
G
x

Usable, just, but would not recommend trying to use an anchor. Found tying alongside quite OK - no facilities except water - obstructions (old mooring blocks and ropes) everywhere.

fandancer

Visit site
Thanks for the advice re Monemvasia

Thank you very much for all,your replies. A shame that a visit to Monemvasia now seems unlikely. I have been twice before, about 6-7 years ago, and the harbour wasnt great then. We are currently at anchor in Gerakas, just north of Monemvasia, and it is really lovely, although a bit of a swell. The village is pretty, locals are friendly, good tavernas, a nice walk along the shores of the lagoon and up to the old ruins. It was hard to find much about the place beforehand, I must rectify this and write a blog.....

Mwinda

Visit site
Bumping an old thread....
Any update on how things are at the moment? Has the "marina" improved? The latest Heikell suggests it is, but I can't quite work out how much and whether anchoring South of the causeway or using the hydrofoil quay would be better.
Planning a Pelle circumnav and we will be stopping in before rounding the cape and I'm interested in how it would be if the Meltemi is doing it's thing and we get stuck there for a few days.
Jonathan

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Jonathan
The Marina has gone quite a while now ,
you can anchor on the south Side or use the harbour , it can get pack at time we have sat out some big blow in the harbour at time without any problem , if it is blowing from the south the north bay is quite safe but anything from the North I wouldn't use it .
There still free water in the harbour and if you can berth in the SW Corner you can get power . The life boat now berth on the South part of the harbour wall keep well clear , although I have never seen it move if your too close they will ask you to move .
You can also go bow or stern on the the out side of the North part of the harbour wall , some Unconsidered people go side on which mean if it's busy people have to anchor out although I have seen the PP,come down at time and move people round .
Last time we was there , they start to collect a mooring fee ,

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I recommended the place to some Dutch friends as a place to visit last summer,they are very experienced sailors with an large aluminium boat .
They had a terrible time there as the south bay harbour was full of plastic bags and old ropes they could not leave the boat to climb the mountain and left for Milos instead of spending the night there .

cheers ibobt

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I recommended the place to some Dutch friends as a place to visit last summer,they are very experienced sailors with an large aluminium boat .
They had a terrible time there as the south bay harbour was full of plastic bags and old ropes they could not leave the boat to climb the mountain and left for Milos instead of spending the night there .

cheers ibobt

Bit taken back by what you friends found .
We used it twice last year once in the early spring on the way to Turkey and again in late autumn heading back to Sicily , both time we found it fine , it not the cleans of harbour I have to say , but then a lot of harbour in Greece aren't that clean ,
the only ropes are where the small fishing boat goes on the inside of the north breakwater there are definitely none alone the East or the South harbour wall and none on the North side of the North Breakwater and that's not changed in years . Maybe your friend arrived on a bad day , unless they tried to enter the little harbour by the town , now then they would have a problem , that's full of lines but no experience sailor would even consider that I wouldn't had thought .
The anchorage on the south side if fine we sat out some big blow there in the past .
Only thing you need to take in account is it can shallow off has you enter the harbour so you don't want to go to far over to the west has you turn but with 2mts last time we found 0.9 under the keel .

charles_reed

Visit site
I anchored 27-29 June and 14-15 September 2015 @ Monevassia.
Both times just between the entrances to the two harbours.
Previously I've gone into the S harbour and tied up alongside the outer breakwater.
Holding not too good so you really have to dig the anchor in.
Fairly windy the 1st visit and lots of big boats slipping and sliding during the night as it blew 5/6.
Very convenient stopover, rough berthing, best anchoring alongside the causeway.
Not for the tyro anchorer - poor holding and lots of other boats.

Mwinda

Visit site
Thanks, interesting.
Charles did you decide to anchor off because the harbour was full or because of debris (etc) around? The holding seems to get variable reports...

jacaldo

Visit site
We were there same time as "Charles-reed", couldn't get alongside the wall as recommended, tried the inner harbour next to the coastguard boat but couldn't get the anchor in. We ended up stern to on the outside of the north wall, 60 meters of chain out dropped in 2 mtr, it howled all night and I was up at 5.00 helping a neighbour to stay off the wall. If we go again I will anchor off between the two harbours.

Mwinda

Visit site
image.jpgimage.jpg

Updating my own query.
Incredible place here, the old town is just stunning. :)
The harbour is foul on the inside. See photos.
Photo 1 - various old mooring chains, and a couple of old grapnels that my chain hooked.
Photo 2 - my anchor hooked in a different standing chain, with other standing chains around.
Holding inside the harbour (unless you hook an old chain!) poor.
Much better alongside. Several boats rafted two deep.
Not sure about the holding /ground on the outside of the North quay, not snorkelled that bit, but plenty sitting there.