Mold

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Boat's kept on a swinging mooring all year (no shore power).
All 3 deck hatches have vents.
This year, we've had pretty much continuous rain since mid-October.
All bedding, etc... has been removed from the boat.

Mold seems to be a serious problem this year: ceiling & bulkheads.
Every 6-8 weeks I wipe it all down with detol wipes, but it keeps returning.
Anyone would think I was trying to re-invent penicillin.

Anybody know any cheap, but efficient ways to help me tackle the problem?

TIA

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I once had to leave my boat during the rainy season, I put 2/3 basins filled with bleach in the galley/saloon/forward cabin, when I came back they were almost dried but there was no mold/mildew.
I would give them a try, in particular if you can renew them every few weeks or so.

Poignard

Visit site
For removing it easily the best product I have found is "Pliz". Available from Carrefour.

Spray it on and wipe it off. No need to rinse and no noxious fumes.

It's available in pistolets or aerosol tins.

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I once had to leave my boat during the rainy season, I put 2/3 basins filled with bleach in the galley/saloon/forward cabin, when I came back they were almost dried but there was no mold/mildew.
I would give them a try, in particular if you can renew them every few weeks or so.

Thanks - will give it a try.
Renewing them won't be a problem, the boat's only 25 minutes away.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
For removing it easily the best product I have found is "Pliz". Available from Carrefour.

Spray it on and wipe it off. No need to rinse and no noxious fumes.

It's available in pistolets or aerosol tins.

Thanks. When it comes to removal, the detol wipes work fine.
I was looking from a solution which would prevent the mold appearing in the first place.

chrishscorp

Visit site
I was on Faceache and randomly had a feed from a house maintenance group, it was a discussion on dealing with mould. Instead of scrolling by I had a read everyone said bleach and I have used that myself. The correct item to use is white vinegar of a good strength this was put up there by a chemist and she went on to explain why chemically bleach would just clean the surface but actually the residue does not discourage growth but the white vinegar did actually kill it properly as it was an alkali, sorry I cant remember the full reasoning and no hope of ever finding the post again but I will give it a go this year.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Bleach will kill the mould but once evaporated there will be nothing left to discourage regrowth Patio Magic or similar products with the active ingredient of Benzalkonium chloride will kill it and leave a residue that will continue to work for a while. johnalison is correct don't breath it in if you spray it wear a basic mask as a minimum and wash any exposed skin in cold water afterwards.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Detol wipes contain BAC, although the concentration is lower than Patio Majic.

I'd add solar, eliminate all leaks, and run a small dehumidifier. I did that for several years. Dry as home, zero mildew, no special wipes or cleaning. Even the pillows stayed fresh.

VicS

Visit site
Bleach will kill the mould but once evaporated there will be nothing left to discourage regrowth Patio Magic or similar products with the active ingredient of Benzalkonium chloride will kill it and leave a residue that will continue to work for a while. johnalison is correct don't breath it in if you spray it wear a basic mask as a minimum and wash any exposed skin in cold water afterwards.
For light indoor use I dilute Patio Magic 1 part + 9 parts water .

Wet and Forget is another brand of mould, lichen and algae remover containing benzalkonium chloride (BAC)

Toolstation sell Barrettine Mould and Mildew Cleaner. Screwfix sell No Nonsense Mould and Mildew Cleaner in spray bottles. Both contain BAC

Last edited:

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
I was on Faceache and randomly had a feed from a house maintenance group, it was a discussion on dealing with mould. Instead of scrolling by I had a read everyone said bleach and I have used that myself. The correct item to use is white vinegar of a good strength this was put up there by a chemist and she went on to explain why chemically bleach would just clean the surface but actually the residue does not discourage growth but the white vinegar did actually kill it properly as it was an alkali, sorry I cant remember the full reasoning and no hope of ever finding the post again but I will give it a go this year.
I recently read that the acetic acid penetrates the (plaster) substrate and kills the mould roots, whereas chlorine bleach tends to kill only the surface mould and it can recur. This is of course more relevant to houses than FRP boats, but I guess mould on wood may respond similarly.