Mold spots on curtains.

38mess

Visit site
I have small black spots on curtains only on windows I left cracked open for ventilation during the winter.
I have tried washing on hot and spraying with mold remover then washing but they are still there. I have also tried soaking overnight in white vinegar, but they are still there. I have run out of ideas.
Any advice please?

billyfish

Visit site
I think we all have that problem this winter , as in a thread ages ago I'm trying this .
1 quart hot water

1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate)

2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)

Ammonite

Visit site
I think we all have that problem this winter , as in a thread ages ago I'm trying this .
1 quart hot water

1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate)

2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)
Tried this but it didn't work for me. Ditto soaking in white vinegar. In the end I soaked them repeatedly in vanish oxi action and patio magic, using a low temperature hand wash machine cycle in between. The mould can be seen if you look really closely but under normal circumstances you don't notice it. This is with dry clean only rayon curtains...although a bit of research shows you can hand wash rayon on low temperatures. The only thing I've found that really removes black mould is bleach but it will damage most fabrics.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Hydrogen Peroxide or bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) will not only kill mould but it will also affect any dye in the curtains. What the OP has is the remnants of the dead mould that have bonded onto the curtains, successive washes will gradually reduce their appearance / visibility but you are unlikely to get rid of them completely.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Patio Magic didn't remove the black spotting for me, but I'm trialling it to see if it keeps recurrence at bay...

Very disappointed with the hydrogen peroxide spray bleach's performance too. I'm going to try good old fashioned chlorine bleach next time I'm at the Moho as that worked on the last boat's carpet lining.

(It developed a window leak and consequently some black mould on mattress.)

Last edited:

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Sounds like mildew. Seen it often and never cured it. The problem on patterned fabrics is that bleaching agents affect the pattern. Even on plain fabrics like sails I have found it immovable.

cid

Visit site
Hi, I know its too late to solve your problem, however to avoid it happening again try placing small tubes of bleach around over winter. Some in the bilges helps.