Mojacs - end of an era?

ridgy

Visit site
On my various visits to Cowes over the years a highlight has always been a trip to Mojacs for their magnificent food and reasonably priced wines.
Word has reached me that the restaurant has been sold over the winter and that things are not what they were. I wish the new owners well but has anyone any recent experience? Any other great places? I'm there for Cowes week and the missus is expecting her usual quality night out.

ashtead

Visit site
Quality fare at Cowes not always on offer -the folk down at no3 towards the front try very hard to welcome and the husband chef /partner serving work hard-it’s rather cramped inside and a simple menu but worth a look. Otherwise it’s Coast or the popular smoking lobster. There is a tapas style restaurant near shepherds marina worth a look. Lastly Murray’s managed by an active RNLI fundraiser if more traditional is a steady if conventional fish based choice. I’m afraid not in cowes this weekend so unable to verify. Lastly what was once north hotel now renamed has an expensive menu aimed at its DFL guests if a booking can be had -food is creative there but not very filling but good wines to be had at a price. Probably nearest cowes has to a Michelin star type restaurant. I’m sure others will recal name or google hotels in cowes.

DPH

Visit site
Try the Globe on the front, now owned by the Red Lion in Freshwater. Not high end but good quality.

ashtead

Visit site
Red duster has always been friendly but haven’t been there for a few years but my recollection was food was actually quite good , definitely top 10 in cowesif not top 5 maybe

lisilou

Visit site
The former North Hotel is now Forresters Hall & the Smoking Lobster now have the brasserie in there offering a totally different cuisine to their restaurant on the High St. Very, very good. You will need to book in advance. Gastronomy, the other end of the high street to Coast is also consistently very good. Not been to Mojacs since the take over so can’t comment on that. The Basque Kitchen (tapas) is well worth a visit. Very erm…‘rustic’ in decor but the food is good.
Coast is always a good bet as is The Smoking Lobster. You won’t go far wrong with any of those.

lustyd

Visit site
Thanks for highlighting. Tripadvisor would seem to agree which is a shame, but somewhere new always pops up eventually in Cowes, the trick is hearing about these things.

ctw

Visit site
I will give Mojacs a try anyway next month and hopefully report back with positive news.
Good afternoon. Going down to IoW next week, am looking for news on Mojacs (a real favourite) under new management. Did you manage to try it on your recent visit?

ridgy

Visit site
No, I tried to but it was Cowes week and the online booking thing showed no space so perhaps all is well. Made do with Coast instead which was ok but a bit loud.

ashtead

Visit site
Coast does tend to be rather DFL sadly but if at that end of town the tapas restaurant at Shepherds marina has always been reliable if the Duke of York doesn’t appeal . I tend to find the Italian opposite overpriced but should you be looking for a quieter locale then give Murray’s a try -last I heard the lady running was a stalwart supporter of the local RNLI as well. Not certain the food at Forresters is worth the money unless it’s improved of late. The other quieter venue would be the ISC where the food for a yacht club is very good.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I’ll admit 1st to bias. I know the owner of Mojacs. Our party might have been the reason it was booked on Tuesday in Cowes week. We all agreed the food was well up to standard though, give it a shot if you’re in Cowes. Though we like Coast too, always feel well fed afterwards.

lustyd

Visit site
I’ll admit 1st to bias. I know the owner of Mojacs. Our party might have been the reason it was booked on Tuesday in Cowes week. We all agreed the food was well up to standard though, give it a shot if you’re in Cowes. Though we like Coast too, always feel well fed afterwards.
I think for the most part the food hasn't been criticised, other than it's not up to the level it was before and has been somewhat simplified. In your private party and knowing the owner, it'll be hard for you to judge the service, which has widely been slated since the reopening.

That was early summer though, and there's no reason to believe they have not improved both based on the ample feedback given. I won't be using my money to test again though so am following the thread with interest.