Moderate Sea State & Shelter

Visit site
Hi All,

I have yet to decide to go out in a Moderate sea state, although I have run into a few here and there. Is moderate going to cause problems for a 42ft sports cruiser, or is it best avoided?

This bank holiday weather is just appalling, and I'm wond ring if today is salvageable!

Thanks

jrudge

Visit site
Moderate without looking it up I guess is a force 5 ??

Remember your direction of travel and the wind make a huge difference. Both behind you happy days. Both on the nose not such a nice ride.

There are things you can do - trim down , slow down and if really bad tack across the waves ( I have only done that once and think it just prolonged the agony )

If in doubt grab an instructor from the bar ! My day skippers we went out in the worst weather I have ever been in which builds confidence.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi All,

I have yet to decide to go out in a Moderate sea state, although I have run into a few here and there. Is moderate going to cause problems for a 42ft sports cruiser, or is it best avoided?

This bank holiday weather is just appalling, and I'm wond ring if today is salvageable!

Thanks

Depends where your boating

PhillM

Visit site
This weekend, the forecast has been at best "strange". Basically, I don't think they know when the front will hit, so everyday is considered a write off. It looks like it WILL come through at some stage.

Today was forecast up to 40 kn this afternoon. Writing this at 13:42 its F4. You guys with big motors can get places faster, so need a smaller window. The problem is of course, if you are on passage and it kicks in, you might have a problem. Especially if you don't want to turn to get to the nearest place of safety as work beckons on Tuesday.

As a stick and rag man, we have less margin for error as it takes us ages to get anywhere. Hence sitting at home being a keyboard warrior! :)

Visit site
This weekend, the forecast has been at best "strange". Basically, I don't think they know when the front will hit, so everyday is considered a write off. It looks like it WILL come through at some stage.

Today was forecast up to 40 kn this afternoon. Writing this at 13:42 its F4. You guys with big motors can get places faster, so need a smaller window. The problem is of course, if you are on passage and it kicks in, you might have a problem. Especially if you don't want to turn to get to the nearest place of safety as work beckons on Tuesday.

As a stick and rag man, we have less margin for error as it takes us ages to get anywhere. Hence sitting at home being a keyboard warrior! :)

Yeah we've elected for ANOTHER shopping day :(

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Yeah we've elected for ANOTHER shopping day :(

Use The Live data from the Bramble met buoys . I looked an hour ago , F2/3 so that's fine .

You have a very good boat , I've been out in V39 in a 6 no problem , the solent is fairly predictable in that you don't do wind over tide if you can get away with it.

BruceK

Visit site
We will go out in a moderate from Conwy because we can find shelter somewhere off Anglesey in most conditions for a stop over. A cruising companion has a V40 which handles very well in our short period swells and he doesn't slow down at all nor slam. From observation it is a very capable boat

Step1

Visit site
We were in the same boat (if you pardon the pun) but after giving up Saturday and Sunday I decided I'd rather sit on the boat (Targa 38) in the marina than at home and I was desperate for a run out after Volvopaul kindly sorted my annual service out. After a spot of lunch and a brief rain shower we went out at about 5pm. Wind had died off, see state flat calm and fun was had for the first outing of the new season. And with a nice clean bum and freshly serviced engines a good play was had. Only heart stopping moment was when all NAV and speed instruments packed up when son turned off the domestic battery trying to work out how to turn the TV on!!

The moral of the story, ignore the weather forecast!