Mobility scooter batteries as marine batteries?

Refueler

Visit site
Here in Ventspils - from Soviet era - there were a lot of 2nd hand parts sellers along with batterys etc. But over the years - they have gone.
Now its hard to find parts and to get a 2nd hand battery here now - have to have a pal in auto service ...

When my boat was in HYCO (UK) - outside the entrance to Hayling Yacht - was a Breaker Yard ... had some excellent 2nd hand batterys from there. Last time in UK - I noted they had closed down.

slawosz

Visit site
Can you not find a space under an aft bunk close to companionway ? You post that your battery needs are minimal - so locating away under a bunk - is that not an option ?

Its too shallow there - battery would be halfway out. As I said, its currently in the cockpit side locker. Not perfect place, but not particulary bad.

I will do the 'discharge overtime' test with car bulbs, but not now - the boat is far away, and when I have time to get there I just want to sail. I bought a 7Ah battery for emergency. Battery rearrangements need to wait after season anyway.

Cost is not a problem - I need no more than 80Ah, so even I would buy 4 20 Ah Yuasa this will be 160 quid, not the end of the world. I just want to know if they are good enough for 'marine'. Again, I dont have inboard, so no need for starting battery.

jhon452

Visit site
Deep cycle batteries, which are 12-volt rechargeable batteries, are used in electric mobility scooters. Each 12-volt battery is connected in series to create 24 volts, which is used to power the mobility scooter.