MoB kit

Misterbreeze

Visit site
I need to replace an ageing horseshoe and a rescue sling and was thinking of adding a danbuoy. But with limited space to mount stuff on the pushpit I might inevitably have to compromise. What combination do others recommend and is there anything else worth considering. 8 metre boat, coastal sailing.

dunedin

Visit site
A lot depends on the nature of sailing and importantly what other kit you have and use.

If sailing solo a danbuoy is not a lot of use.

We don’t carry a danbuoy at all.
But as ex dinghy sailors all crew wear lifejackets when underway, and the main lifejackets have AIS transponders.
Also chart plotter by the wheel - pressing the red button and marking the spot will be closer to the casualty than trying to release a danbuoy, when the distance sailed may be too far after a few seconds.
But each to their own decisions as some of that kits is expensive.

Neeves

Visit site
If you are solo sailing then you need to wear the MOB kit, dan buoys are of no value but then neither is a horseshoe nor rescue sling. If you sail with a crew of 4 - different scenario.

The trick with MOB is - do not fall overboard as you will probably die

We sail as a couple and carry a self inflating Danbuoy, its a bit like a brick and is held at the wheel. We have transom platform about 20mm above the waterline and practice MOB recovery by using it to land tuna :). We seldom wear LJs (only when we wear foul weather gear, but commonly wear harnesses and tethers.

All depends on yacht, weather, location etc etc.

Be a bit more specific, we coastal sail - but often that's 10nm offshore of an uninhabited coast.

Jonathan

Gadget257

Visit site
I was shocked with the recent report that stated around 50% of MOB reported to MAIB result in death (there is bias in the figure as most MOBs are not reported to MAIB). My shorthanded MOB plan is below (I've not mentioned MAYDAY etc):

Prevent - Keep myself and the crew on board. As well as lifelines etc think about your drinking policy on board as up to 50 % MOB alcohol was a factor.
Locate - How are you going to find the MoB at night - large torch , white flare, reflective tape on clothing, Personal AIS etc
Collect - Although I've practised MOB hundreds of times and under sail and power when it happens for real mistakes will be made in boat handling and have decided to tow a rescue sling to pick up the MOB
Recover - How to secure a potentially unconscious casualty without risking injury from the boat and then lift them on board? Lasso or strop and on my boat a using a parbuckle to recover. I also have a rope ladder and 4:1 hoist to self recover (last chance!) if sailing single handed.

Man overboard statistics: 47% of MOBs from recreational boats end in a fatality - Practical Boat Owner
Man Overboard Statistics - Just Marine

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
For a single handed sailor a diver surface marker buoy would aid any other boat to locate the MOB in the same way as a don buoy would and can be attached to the LJ and inflated by mouth

1641706-g1.jpg

TUOSON SMB-001 1.8mx18cm Diving SMB Safety Inflatable Float Scuba Diving SMB Surface Signal Marker Buoy Accessory – Keebot

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Force4 have an inflatable dan buoy. But really it’s infinitely preferable to have AIS or a PLB these days. Preferably the latter, though they are a lot more expensive.

No doubt somebody will be along soon to point out that both such devices will be useless if you aren’t wearing an LJ. Hey - Darwinian selection.

B27

Visit site
The OP doesn't say he's a singlehander.

Ye Olde Horseshoe or similar is still a good thing to have.
It should be instantly available, the helm should be able to have it over the side in 10 seconds.

The person you throw it to may not come from your own boat.

Misterbreeze

Visit site
To answer a few points, I often sail singlehanded but equally often with 1 or 2 crew. For me, coastal means a mile or two offshore at most, unless crossing Thames estuary and no cross channel ambitions anymore, nor night sailing. Done all that stuff years ago and just want to potter now. I always wear a lifejacket regardless and clip on if going forward when on my own. Very risk averse! So, any kit will be for other's benefit with the exception of perhaps a PLB for me. My issue is how much space I have to mount all the stuff I'd like to have, but the horseshoe, sling and danbuoy are probably the minimum I think.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
To answer a few points, I often sail singlehanded but equally often with 1 or 2 crew. For me, coastal means a mile or two offshore at most, unless crossing Thames estuary and no cross channel ambitions anymore, nor night sailing. Done all that stuff years ago and just want to potter now. I always wear a lifejacket regardless and clip on if going forward when on my own. Very risk averse! So, any kit will be for other's benefit with the exception of perhaps a PLB for me. My issue is how much space I have to mount all the stuff I'd like to have, but the horseshoe, sling and danbuoy are probably the minimum I think.

The PLB stows in your lifejacket. It’s not a big item like an EPIRB. As a frequent singlehander it could be a lifesaver. The other key bit of kit in your case, would be a third jackstay running along the centreline of the boat.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I wonder within the MAIB stats the effectiveness of a lifejacket is mentioned. Nowhere can I find what the figures are for survival of those wearing a LJ when they went overboard.

The RYA article doesn't link to the MAIB report but located that ..

RYA Man Overboard

MAIB Planning and preparation vital to reduce man overboard fatalities

The article seems to emphasise the importance of a swift recovery and regular MOB training rather than wearing LJs which I assume the fishermen referred to don't.

Last edited:

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
I think the most important thing (especially for single handers) is not to fall overboard and that means a centreline jackstay and a short tether. 6ft of tether on a jackstay running down the side decks is going to kill you.

William_H

Visit site
I would suggest as a base line for safety survival equipment that you go to RYA or similar site for requirements for yacht racing. The categories indicate in effect the distance from shore and likely hood of rescue. Compliance with these requirements will give you a sound (legal) basis for argument that you are responsible. (and requirements are pretty sensible) From there in addition go with what seems a good idea for you. As said stay on the boat in the first place. But do realise there is danger in dighy trip to boat and transfer from dinghy so fit and practice using ladder at stern . ol'will

Misterbreeze

Visit site
The centreline lifeline makes a lot sense. Having already spent out on new deck level lifelines and stretchy lanyards they might now have to go in the bin (but could be used as an expensive way to secure the inflatable on deck). However a 2m lanyard clipped to a deck lifeline would lose 1m by the time it's stretched over the top guardrail meaning you might not make it as far as the water - I'll test that theory out next time I'm down at the boat.