MMSI Numbers, Does anyone use them?

Medskipper

Visit site
Ok, So iv'e got my DSC Radio and my MMSI number last year. I have read how it works, but so far no one I know has an MMSI number or wants to use it!

Its a bit like a PM message on here, you punch in the number, about 10 digits (really easy to get wrong if the boat is moving around a lot!) and then wait for a response from the person you wish to talk with!

So has anyone out there found it of use? I read that the coastguard is a bit peaved that its not used, because people still use channel 16 to call up first! not really surprising is it? anyone got anything good to say about this method?

Regards Barry

fireball

Visit site
We sat in East Cowes testing it between two of us - one could send, the call acknowledged and the acknowledgement was not received, didn't always work exactly the same - sometimes the call would not be sent to start with, all seemed a bit hit and miss - especially as you still end up doing VHF voice calls - why not digitise the whole signal, wouldn't be that complex surely ...

2 weeks aboard and I don't think we used the VHF for anything other than a DSC test .... it was easier to use the mobile to call the marinas/clubs and arrange the berths - and the marina staff agreed with that method too! Kind of relegates the VHF to pure distress system only .....

Talbot

Visit site
I can see why DSC might have advantages to commercial shipping, but for us leisure sailors I reckon its a total dead loss. The design features imposed by legislation are inappropriate to us, and is leading to more people switching off their VHF because of the alarms (especially at night)

Personally I willl not have one, and am disappointed that RYA have not done more to make it leisure user friendly.

Callisto

Visit site
The coastguard is peeved that its not used but as the take up of DSC has been poor so far in the leisure sector, I did hear that the headphone watch on Ch16 has been extended for longer than planned.

I have DSC but only ever used the voice call functions really. Only a couple of other owners I know have upgraded to it, but we usually use mobiles to call and arrange meetings etc.

The DSC system really comes into its own for distress as (assuming its correctly installed and interfaced) one button press gives your distress call and position even if you do have to follow up with a voice call.

I still think the idea is good and will catch on, but it will take longer than planned. The whole thrust seems to be to try and take the pressure off ch16 which IMHO is a good idea.

Just a few thoughts to be going on with

JH

Rustyknight

Visit site
Quite a few times this summer, I've heard the coastguard putting out an "All stations" broadcast on channel 16, asking for the station with such and such MMSI number to call them up.

Obviously, someones either put out an alert or called the CG using DSC...... but they don't know who!!!

Reeling off a 9 digit number in the hope that someone may recognise it as their own sounds a bit optomistic to me, to say the least. Many people have trouble remembering a 4 digit pin number....... so 9 numbers?????????/ No chance!!!

I've printed out my number using one of those "Dymo" tape thingies, and have it by the radio in the cabin, and under the cockpit speaker too..... but it still takes some mental acrobatics to listen to a CG broadcast, which may be to anyone on the South coast, and relate it to my number.

Why, oh why, oh why couldn't the MMSI number have incorporated the existing callsign of letters and a number or two!!

bdsweeting

Visit site
Yes, it does make you wonder why the CG doesn't dial up the MMSI number when calling back to a boat doesn't it ?!?

Maybe their kit doesn't have the facility.

With regard to knowing your own number etc. I had a small label made up by a sign making company which has my vessel name, international call sign and MMSI on it. This has now been fixed adjacent to the radio so anyone can read it when on board or using the radio.

Tim777

Visit site
It took me a while to get used to DSC but knowing your frieds MMSI nos. and calling direct and nominating the working channel for them automatically is brilliant.
Much better than clogging up 16 and wasting time on air choosing channels,

I think it is pathetic that the Coastguard has not linked the boat info collected on CG66?(right form no?) forms with the MMSI nos. This would him give boat description auto and save time in dangerous situations.

The auto response of position and if time, nature of emergency, is a great feature if people are having to leave the craft in a hurry.

I went on Solitaires course which features two DSC units communicating with each other. Useful to hear the alarms go off prior to hearing them in a live situation. Good to practice the emergency DSC procdures without launching helicopters accidentaly!

Persevere with it. I had mine for 3 months prior to the course without really knowing how to use it. Find out it could save lives. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LeytonC

Visit site
I agree with you - i find it usefull to call my mates on, but at sea its a total pain in the ass, I have peoples MMSI numbers saved, but trying to access them when you are rolling in waves, trying to dodge ships and helming is a right pain, easier just to hit the 16 button and make a voice call. The only thing i do like is the 1 button distress and the keypad on the microphone.

and i *really* wish you could set the volume of the DSC alert, it does not need to be full on, mostly cos i am only 12 inches from the speaker (remote) and it feels like my ears drums are going to shatter.

duncan

Visit site
yep - it's excellent and the additional functions are proving really usefull too, especially the position requests. This not only has the obvious advantages but when trying to find that elusive m8 in the middle of a crowded studland/osborne bay or even Newtown Creek enables you to pinpoint them without use of any already crowded voice channels at all.

re the CG and MMSI numbers there was a thread over on PBO a couple of weeks ago that went into this in depth. However I would point out that in the case of both false alams I heard the parties with the requisite numbers responded imediately to the CG voice calls to the numbers. I got the impression in both cases that the CG actually wanted the discussion out in the open on 16! They do have access to MARS but their default system is the CG66 database which is not fully updated with MMSI numbers by most craft. Given that in both these cases they were responding to a DSC call making one back is not how the system is designed - I'm calling you, no no I'm calling you, no you speak first........not the way to respond to an alert!

[ QUOTE ]
re the CG and MMSI numbers there was a thread over on PBO a couple of weeks ago that went into this in depth. However I would point out that in the case of both false alams I heard the parties with the requisite numbers responded imediately to the CG voice calls to the numbers. I got the impression in both cases that the CG actually wanted the discussion out in the open on 16! They do have access to MARS but their default system is the CG66 database which is not fully updated with MMSI numbers by most craft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bearing in mind that as HMCG also has access to the UK Ship Radio Licence database which is, of course, up to date on MMSI numbers, this does all seem a bit strange to me.

mike

Ofcom supplies all the data supplied to MARS, the difference is that they get it updated every fortnight. Of course it is possible that this has changed since my exit from Ofcom but I can't see it

This data includes:

Vessel name, MMSI, callsign, EPIRB Hex ID, vessel type, 24 hour emergency contact details ashore, PoB details, Radio Installation details,

Mike

duncan

Visit site
ah well the updating might well have - there was a thread about a month ago on PBO where a whole lot of people were claiming that they had had MMSI numbers for some time but MARS didn't show them - might even have been it didn't show them at all come to think about it.

I wasn't suggestign in my comments that the CG didn't have access to the data, more that they use their CG66 DB 'first' then go to other sources if they need to. As this is undergoing a huge refresh (by the boatowners!) and has only recently included MMSI nos they don't seem to be using it to search callsigns or MMSI yet - if you call them up with a passage plan and they ask you to spell your crafts's name but you give them the (shorter) callsign they get indignant and insist on the name - MARS and, I asume, the OFCOM DB will be searchable on callsign to give boat name which is consistent with the above.
Now if there were just the one DB........... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hope things are going well for you

regards

[ QUOTE ]
Now if there were just the one DB........... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, been there suggested that! Safety first and damn the running cost. Probably a big part of the decision to find me "redundant"

[ QUOTE ]
hope things are going well for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too bad have just got back from a sojourn in Kenya /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. May have to start thinking about a job though, in fact may go and tout myself about at SIBS.

Mike

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
[ QUOTE ]
people were claiming that they had had MMSI numbers for some time but MARS didn't show them

[/ QUOTE ]

It has taken 6 months for the MARS database to be updated with my vessels details. Similarly for the person who sold me the boat, his new boat has just been updated on MARS.

duncan

Visit site
If it was safety first adn damm the cost then surely OFCOM should have been given the responsibility of managing the radio related data in all the safety related DB's, including the CG one? Equally the management of registration data wherever it is held in these safety related databases by another party etc

good luck at the boat show - the only things I would want to try and sell/tout there would be cheap anchors (post free), clearly discounted electronics, paravane based cheap and simple yacht fishing kits and guiness.