Missing Yact Update Latest!

ajc

Visit site
Just before Xmas ( remember that) I posted a help note to find my missing yacht. Actually first note was probably Nov. Well some very helpful guys from the Hampshire Marine Unit noticed a blip on their sonar, a few days later with better weather they encountered a Navy Diving Unit on exercise who gladly went down to take a peep and hey presto! my yacht Hilary Joyce. The divers apparently offered to go get some air bags and raise her but marine law being what it is were stopped from doing so. You have to have the owners permission to raise a craft.

It was arranged to get her raised and taken to Port Solent for assesment, Insurers say she should be salvageable, theYard say unlikely. As Port Solent is closed at present we cannot raise her so on the bottom she sits! So much for four years restoration.

VicS

Visit site
That really is sad. Not the sort of new year luck you were hoping for. I'm sure we were all hoping that the theory that she had been lifted out by mistake was right. Someone else did say a boat had been found on the bottom though. Let us know what happened when you know. From what you said previously that was not a case of sinking at the mooring?

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
Sorry, AJC. But I thought you said it was a traditional yacht - surely many of them have been salvaged after being sunk. If it was malicious, there is a good chance that it may have sunk as a result of a hole or stopcocks being opened up.
Good luck !
Ken

Talbot

Visit site
A friend whose boat was sunk, was told that she was a write off by the insurers. He bought the hull back from them for a very small sum, and cut a hole in the bottom and pressure washed her clean. Engine and electrics had to be completely replaced, but the end result was fine. (took a long time to dry cause they kept pouring more frsh water into her to flush out the salt from the wooden panels)

I would guess that you would be looking at another long term restoration, and whether you want to go down that route is a decision only you can make.

You have my profound sympathies.