Missing Yacht ...update

ajc

Visit site
Some of you, with distant memory recall, may remember my yacht "Hilary Joyce" which went missing in November, was found sitting on the bottom by Hants Marine Police in December. Well at last she was raised by those very nice divers at Seatech on Tuesday and towed around to Port Solent. I wont go into all the detail but it took till Friday before she was finally craned ashore, around 1600 hrs.

Now the interesting thing is, 1st report from the divers whilst towing her was " she has lost all her guard wires & stanchions". 2nd interesting point, when pumped out she floated with no trace of any leaks. She went down in Portsmouth harbour in 4 to 8 metres of water ( depending on state of tide ) into very soft mud. Again divers report she was gently listing to Stbd with keel well into silt. Pushpit is completely missing, Pulpit was caught up in airvent hole on coachroof. Both airvents were blown out and missing + front hatch blown open.

Any one experienced or heard of anything like this before. Apart from the guardwires she is unmarked!

Only solution I can come up with is that something quite powerful, tangled with guardwires and dragged her down??

Any comments, possible causes?

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Well, that's good news.

Both my present and my previous boat had sunk under their former owners, neither suffered any lasting harm.

Do be sure to hose out the back of the beam shelf - I found mud there in both boats!

The hatch and vents blowing out is very strong evidence for your theory, I think. Dragged under by something big.