Missing Stuffing Glad

Helo&Craig

Visit site
Went to repack the stuffing gland today, slid the hose forward and expected to find a stuffing gland underneath, but nothing. I assume the section at the front with the grease nipple is the stuffing gland but does not appear to be user servicable. ANy advise on how to repack/replace this muchly appreciated.
thanks,
Craig

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
Went to repack the stuffing gland today, slid the hose forward and expected to find a stuffing gland underneath, but nothing. I assume the section at the front with the grease nipple is the stuffing gland but does not appear to be user servicable. ANy advise on how to repack/replace this muchly appreciated.
thanks,
Craig
Are you sure it's a stuffing gland, Craig? Just a guess, but it looks to me like it might be some type of co-axial shaft seal similar in principal to the PSS seal.

Bilgediver

Visit site
thanks,
Craig

When did you last grease it? Is it leaking??????

I suspect it is mechanical seal of some sort with a spring loaded carbon seal. I don't think at least a little grease might help.

I have no doubt that after a good clean up it should be able to deduce how it comes apart to reveal the bits inside.

NorthUp

Visit site
I suspect that you will find two conventional oil lip seals inside the forward part of the seal, running on the shaft. To access them you will have to remove the shaft coupling, and slide the assembly off the end of the shaft- (best done ashore !) making sure there are no burrs or sharp edges on the shaft to damage the seals.
You can get replacement seals from any good bearing supplier- specify stainless steel springs.

I think the grease nipple has been fitted instead of a gravity fed oil feed, lubricating between the two seals in the brass gland, possibly to compensate for worn seals.

Of course I may be completely wrong, any chance of a close-up photo?

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I don't see a face seal there.The shaft appears to go through the whole thing so it may have lip seals inside or just grease.I had a simple greaser on my previous boat for a while but it leaked terribly.

Helo&Craig

Visit site
Usually grease after using the motor and previoulsy didn't leak. Now after greasing leaks about two litres a week, also now seems to be leaking much more when in use, was a negligible amount previoulsy.

Gear cable is on the list also.

Will try for a better photo later in the week.

thanks so far, but look s like I should be looking for a drippless type coupling for a replacement.

Tranona

Visit site
As already suggested you may find it has replaceable lip seals when you get it off. If you do replace it, the Volvo seal is probably the best most economical unit.