Missing Narrowboat - Concern for single Crew!

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
I am forwarding this e-mail I recieved today. If in the incorrect forum perhaps it can be shifted?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From : Canal World Discussion Forums <sitehost@canalworld.net>
Sent : 02 April 2007 17:04:00
To : Lenseman
Subject : Missing boat/person - Nb Holly - Middlewich Narrowboats ( Canal World Discussion Forums )

lenseman,

I am sorry to clutter up your mailbox with another e-mail, but I now feel that this incident has become important enough to do so.

Nb Holly, a 47ft hire boat from Middlewich Narrowboats was collected by a single male hirer on 9th March 2007 and due to return to base on the 23rd March. The boat did not return and there is now very serious concern for the welfare of the hirer. There has been 1 unconfirmed sighting of the boat heading from
Wolverhampton locks towards Birmingham (20th March) and nothing has been seen of the boat or hirer since.

This does not appear to be a normal theft of a narrowboat as the hirer has left a car at the boat yard, paid by a credit card registered to his home address, and it appears that no-one has been inside his home address since the 9th of March.

I would be very grateful if all members could keep an eye out for this boat. If see / have seen it please contact Middlewich Narowboats on 01606 832460 or contact Cheshire Police on 01606 480000 quoting incident 421 24/03/2007.

A picture of the boat can be seen in this thread:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8050.

Many thanks for your help,

Jon Belcher

Norman_E

Visit site
How deep are most canals? Is it possible to sink a canal boat anywhere where it will not either be visible from the surface, or get hit by the next boat to come along? I am under the impression that most narrow boat canals are pretty shallow.

Sixpence

Visit site
They are but they also connect to some major rivers and have quite a few places where a 47 footer could get into major difficulties at this time of year without anyone noticing till the season picks up

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
I would think its far more likely that the hirer has had an accident, heart attack or some such, whilst moored up,

Trouble with narrow boats is that one gets used to seeing 'em moored up and 'inactive' for longish periods.

If he is not expected back by anyone, and if he is hiring on his own, that may well be a possibility.....then the outcome may well be tragic.

Nick

graham

Visit site
Hopefully the guy is taking a bit of time out and will turn up to face the music when he feels ready.

Sadly an unwell lone person on a narrowboat moored in a quiet place could go unnoticed . The same could easilly happen in a crowded marina full of sea going yachts.

rickp

Visit site
Hire boats are normally pretty distinctive in their decoration though, and you wouldn't expect to see one stationary for long periods.

Rick

Barr Avel

Visit site
Sailorman & Savageseadog:

I don't think that a report of a missing person is a laughing matter. To make jokes about it because it isn't a missing yacht is rather sad I think.

Marc.

Aardee

Visit site
I wonder whether it's worth finding a way of circulating the message to the various Angling Clubs in the area - they will have baliffs regularly walking the banks.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
This does not appear to be a normal theft of a narrowboat as the hirer has left a car at the boat yard, paid by a credit card registered to his home address, and it appears that no-one has been inside his home address since the 9th of March.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds serious.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
this one is not yr run of the mil n/boat

[/ QUOTE ] To most people it would look much like many other narrow boats

gallery_1451_154_73238.jpg

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To most people it would look much like many other narrow boats

[/ QUOTE ]

A while ago My boat was bumped on its mooring by a yacht under power.There was fortunately a witness who said it was "a white one". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

To a non yachty all yachts are the same I guess it would be the same for canal boats to the average person.

StephenMorrill

Visit site
Herts Police confirm the boat HOLLY is still missing - A man in his 50s, 6ft 0", receding grey hair, has been reported missing by his family from central Herts. Description of boat is at top of this item. Sightings or info to Herts Police on 01727 796000 welcomed (ask for the Central Area Help Desk) - we do not have to tell his family where he is - just make sure he is safe. Thanks if you can help. Stephen Morrill. Insp.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
I was down at Middlewich Junction yesterday and noticed that many boats were on the move as owners got ready for the Easter weekend.

Hopefully, the boat or the man himself, will be discovered by the thousands of people taking to the ditches this week, especially with the good weather forecast.

I do hope there is a 'good' result to all this.

StephenMorrill

Visit site
Update 0200 Weds 11th April - Narrowboat Holly is still missing along with the man who took her from Middlewich - there is an unconfirmed sighting northbound at Blisworth Tunnel, Northants, on 9th April. Police need to locate the boat and the man who hired her.