Mirage 26 Seaworthyness

Steve 90060

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a 26ft yacht for coastal sailing and the occasional north sea passage. Does anyone know of the seaworthyness of the Mirage 26? Thee are a couple for sale on the web and I was going to view them both. Are there any model specific issues I should be looking out for. Both have Beta engines, BZ482 & Beta 16. Does the anchor well have drain holes, can't see them in any photos of the boats.

Any i formation aould be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Steve

johnalison

Visit site
I’ve not sailed, or even been in one, but I remember seeing them around in the ‘70s or so. They struck me as being rather unsatisfactory, being influenced by the IOR boats of the time, with narrow ends and limited accommodation but being too bulky to match them in sailing. I dare say they serve a reasonable purpose but think that the next generation, as represented by the Sadler 25 and 26 are likely to be much better at sea.

CJU

Visit site
We went on one of the last Mirage flotilla sailing holidays in Greece and were pleased with the 28’s room and sailing ability. Subsequently we bought a 28 as our first boat and owned it for about 10 years. We found it good for what we were doing at the time, South coast sailing and the occasional trips to northern France. We had no particular problems with it, just general maintenance really.
Although the 26 is a bit smaller I would think it would be much the same. They are a bit more stylish than a Centaur and don’t seem to suffer osmosis as much. There is an active Snapdragon Mirage association for more information.

jlavery

Visit site
We went on one of the last Mirage flotilla sailing holidays in Greece and were pleased with the 28’s room and sailing ability. Subsequently we bought a 28 as our first boat and owned it for about 10 years. We found it good for what we were doing at the time, South coast sailing and the occasional trips to northern France. We had no particular problems with it, just general maintenance really.
Although the 26 is a bit smaller I would think it would be much the same. They are a bit more stylish than a Centaur and don’t seem to suffer osmosis as much. There is an active Snapdragon Mirage association for more information.
I was probably your skipper, if it was out of Tolon :)

Yes, the 28s sailed very well for their size.

I know less about the 26, but did meet a chap in Padstow a few weeks ago who was on a bilge keeled 26 (are there fin keel versions?). He was based at Caenarfon, and had taken her all over the place. He was on his way back from his summer trip, having got as far as Southampton. He'd also taken her over to Ireland and up North. So he seemed to find the boat seaworthy.

samfieldhouse

Visit site
Assuming you mean the Feltham designed Mirage not the Canadian version?

The Mirage was very much the forerunner to the Cobras…

I’m hugely bias but have you looked at a Cobra 850? Also IOR influenced but solid, comfy, sprightly and with (for 28ft) oodles of space.

We have a very active Facebook group; www.cobrayachts.co.uk

Steve 90060

Visit site
Thanks for your contributions, the Cobra 850 is getting outside of my budget for mooring fees & launches etc. I've seen a Cobra 750 for sale. Anyone know what they are like in a blow/swell and general sailing performance. Anything model specific I should look out for? There's one in the Southampton area with a new engine (2019) but they're asking nearly £11k, so it's getting on a bit.
Ta, Steve

samfieldhouse

Visit site
The 750 is equally a good boat. The one you’ve seen for sale in Southampton - is that Silver Cloud? If so she’s moored opposite me.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks for your contributions, the Cobra 850 is getting outside of my budget for mooring fees & launches etc. I've seen a Cobra 750 for sale. Anyone know what they are like in a blow/swell and general sailing performance. Anything model specific I should look out for? There's one in the Southampton area with a new engine (2019) but they're asking nearly £11k, so it's getting on a bit.
Ta, Steve
It will have cost them about £11k to re engine the boat. In reality you are buying an engine with free boat attached.