Ministry of Defence Police Marine Unit - Complaint

SC35

Visit site
I too would remain pleasant and be happy that we are able to use recreational craft in what is essentially a military harbour. If I owned the country you wouldn't be anywhere near my Navy, There would be a big gate spanning Fort Blockhouse and the round tower....

:)

This is one approach, but you'd have to empty out Gunwharf Quays, Haslar, Premier, Port Solent, Fareham Sailing and Motor Boat Club, Wicor, Paulsgrove, Portsmouth Harbour Sailing Club and probably a couple of others that I've missed.

Never Grumble

Visit site
This is one approach, but you'd have to empty out Gunwharf Quays, Haslar, Premier, Port Solent, Fareham Sailing and Motor Boat Club, Wicor, Paulsgrove, Portsmouth Harbour Sailing Club and probably a couple of others that I've missed.
I think you'll find that if KHM wanted to close the harbour to other users then under the Dockyard Ports Regulations Act then they could, at least that is my understanding.

I've been approached a couple of times by the police boats with lights blazing asking me to move over, which I have done, even though in both cases I thought they were being a bit over zealous. I cant even remember there being such boats patrolling when I served on the big grey ships 30 years ago.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
If I wanted to make a complaint about the conduct of the Ministry of Defence Police Marine Unit in Portsmouth Harbour, where would I even start?

They created an unfortunate situation that simply didn't need to happen had I been allowed to do what I was planning to do.

"You are in the main navigation channel."
"Errr, yes, and what? The small boat channel stops at Ballast. I am well North of that and >100m off your dock".
"There's a tanker approaching. You need to move to the other side".
"Errr okay, but if you hadn't cut in front of me and stopped me I would now be around the corner and well clear of that tanker..."

By the time we had finished "chatting" the tanker was really quite close.
So yes, I now have to power up and go to the other side, and come back around in a loop.

I think they were bored and needed someone to intercept to keep the stats looking good.
They were sat at Port Solent last week on the outer waiting pontoon doing absolutely nothing .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I wonder what he thought about you
I don’t think they really care what the general public think these days , that’s why the country has gone to the dogs in that dept , kids under 10 F and Jeff at them all day long , the trouble is they can’t touch them , mostly educated by there parents .

penfold

Visit site
I think you'll find that if KHM wanted to close the harbour to other users then under the Dockyard Ports Regulations Act then they could, at least that is my understanding.

I've been approached a couple of times by the police boats with lights blazing asking me to move over, which I have done, even though in both cases I thought they were being a bit over zealous. I cant even remember there being such boats patrolling when I served on the big grey ships 30 years ago.
30 years ago nutters in a dinghy hadn't blown a hole in the USS Cole; greater security is needed, unfortunately some of it is security theatre.

Parabolica

Visit site
Probably Parking Warden Syndrome where basically some over zealous oddbod who got picked on at school is now on a payback rampage because he’s got a badge. So many like this in the UK nowdays and just makes this tiny island feel too small for me to fit on it any longer. I just wish Mrs P would feel the same then we could p*ss off and live nearer to our boat :)

Hooligan

Visit site
I too would remain pleasant and be happy that we are able to use recreational craft in what is essentially a military harbour. If I owned the country you wouldn't be anywhere near my Navy, There would be a big gate spanning Fort Blockhouse and the round tower....

:)
Problem is you would spend all your time trying to find the navy. Do we still have one?

alandalus11

Visit site
I was once stopped by the marine police walking down our pontoon. They said I “assaulted” some guy with a sheet of sandpaper. But I only roughed him up a bit.

They asked me if I had a Police record. Told them I only had a Sting CD.

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
You're right that the small boat channel does end at Ballast, KHM's guide does show there to be more "Recommended" routes for small boats well north of that over to the west. I, like you and many others have found that generally as long as you don't get too close to the dockyard the MOD plod won't mind your being outside these unless there is traffic in or heading for the main channel. I guess you wouldn't expect them to bother you if you were not in those channels as they're only recommended, not mandatory like the small boat channel in and out. They'd almost certainly explain that what they did was correct even if it isn't immediately apparent why they thought you were in the wrong when on the face of it you weren't.

Last edited: