Milford Haven

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
It’s a long way from anywhere.
There’s great weekend sailing, but going further afield in smaller boats isn’t easy, the Western approaches can be a handful travelling south and St George’s Channel heading West or North (Nothing of interest heading into the BC).
It’s much easier for larger yachts with wider range and weather capabilities to get anywhere else.
My small mobo has a trailer and has been to The Fal, North Brittany and the West coast of Scotland, but my 24’ yacht struggles to get much further than Fishguard.

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
There’s great weekend sailing, but going further afield in smaller boats isn’t easy, the Western approaches can be a handful travelling south and St George’s Channel heading West or North (Nothing of interest heading into the BC).
It’s much easier for larger yachts with wider range and weather capabilities to get anywhere else.
My small mobo has a trailer and has been to The Fal, North Brittany and the West coast of Scotland, but my 24’ yacht struggles to get much further than Fishguard.
I see no reason to not go up tide to Tenby Sandersfoot or the island there and its a moderate day sail to Oxwich with Mumbles and Swansea with a bit of a push. In fair weather Ireland is a long day away (14 hours) abd then you have the entire sheltered irish east coast to play in. We based both our 26 ft and our 32ft there for 3 summers

Dellquay13

Visit site
I see no reason to not go up tide to Tenby Sandersfoot or the island there and its a moderate day sail to Oxwich with Mumbles and Swansea with a bit of a push. In fair weather Ireland is a long day away (14 hours) abd then you have the entire sheltered irish east coast to play in. We based both our 26 ft and our 32ft there for 3 summers
The further you go up the BC the less you want to be there, bigger tides, less to look at, water like drinking chocolate.

We had Dolphins playing around us inside the Haven today, and the puffins are back in force at Skomer. Life is good, but it’s still a remote area and not straightforward to stray beyond if you only have a little boat, not a 32footer.
Our nearest ports of choice are Padstow, Fishguard or Kilmore Quay. It’s not as well connected as the South Coast or Solent. That’s why I said it’s a great place, but not easy to get to and from. I arrived 20 years ago and still enjoy it, but I cast an envious eye over the 30foot+ yachts that I see managing to make passage through.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The further you go up the BC the less you want to be there, bigger tides, less to look at, water like drinking chocolate.

We had Dolphins playing around us inside the Haven today, and the puffins are back in force at Skomer. Life is good, but it’s still a remote area and not straightforward to stray beyond if you only have a little boat, not a 32footer.
Our nearest ports of choice are Padstow, Fishguard or Kilmore Quay. It’s not as well connected as the South Coast or Solent. That’s why I said it’s a great place, but not easy to get to and from. I arrived 20 years ago and still enjoy it, but I cast an envious eye over the 30foot+ yachts that I see managing to make passage through.
There you have it. Solent pond versus Skomer South Haven. I love Skomer and the puffins though have f ed up Jack Sound by getting clock wrong (BST v GMT) and shooting through at 14kt in no wind and engine in tickover. We still call by on route from S Cornwall to Ireland though it may also be the Griffin that beckons after a hard day

Dellquay13

Visit site
There you have it. Solent pond versus Skomer South Haven. I love Skomer and the puffins though have f ed up Jack Sound by getting clock wrong (BST v GMT) and shooting through at 14kt in no wind and engine in tickover. We still call by on route from S Cornwall to Ireland though it may also be the Griffin that beckons after a hard day
A pie and pint last night in the Griffin, overnighting on the pontoon after a day of Skomer, Puffins and Dolphins. It’s a brilliant place, but isolated for small boats like mine.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I haven’t even got as far (west) as Fishguard yet! And that’s with a reasonably quick 30 footer. Kids, wife, holiday time are a drag anchor wherever you are ;)

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
A pie and pint last night in the Griffin, overnighting on the pontoon after a day of Skomer, Puffins and Dolphins. It’s a brilliant place, but isolated for small boats like mine.
That’s more or less enough though, for family summer holidays. If I was more local I would get into the racing scene because that would comfortably offset the desire to go further afield I n the holiday time we do have. As with all sailing more time and longer holidays would count for a lot. Have a chat with Murph who owns Sancler on our pontoon. He’s been having a blast locally with a tidy but cheap boat the last couple of seasons. Wish I could be like him but kids school and business get in the way…

Dellquay13

Visit site
PS lads I haven’t seen Karisma since October… if anyone could tell me how horribly green she is, I’ll be up at the end of the month with a sharing bottle of patio magic!
I’ll go have a look for you tomorrow, I don’t go further up pontoon than the water tap by the vivacity normally, so I usually only see the stern view of Karisma.

Murph is a legend, you can tell he cut his teeth on the fishing boats. Nothing seems to daunt him

Daydream believer

Visit site
Keep telling them that!
On my round Britain( yeah, I know, through the Cally canal) trip my young grandson asked that I sent a postcard from every stop, so his class could log where I was & the teacher could plot the course on the class map. They would then have a little discussion about each place.-- They were too young to tell them that Scarborough's bogs were the scankiest in the UK :unsure: ;)
Milford Haven was the only place I could not get a post card. The newsagent said, " Who on earth would want to come here & tell their friends anyway" :cry:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
On my round Britain( yeah, I know, through the Cally canal) trip my young grandson asked that I sent a postcard from every stop, so his class could log where I was & the teacher could plot the course on the class map. They would then have a little discussion about each place.-- They were too young to tell them that Scarborough's bogs were the scankiest in the UK :unsure: ;)
Milford Haven was the only place I could not get a post card. The newsagent said, " Who on earth would want to come here & tell their friends anyway" :cry:
There used to be post office in Dale and there is still the beachhouse shop which probably does cards.

Other threads that may be of interest