Milford Haven / Pembrookshire mooring whilst cycling?

Tim Good

Visit site
Ok so we are trying to combine sailing with cycling touring and between Aug 22-30 we plan to sail to Pembrookshire and leave the boat whilst cycling for a few days. I want to try and avoid plonking it in an expensive marina for a few days so does anyone know of any creeks or visitors bouys that would be more cost effective or maybe even some sheltered anchorages to leave her in?

Boat draws 2m

DennisF

Visit site
Dale is sheltered in anything other than an Easterly wind, and often has moorings free with ample anchoring opportunities as well. Angle bay would be another possibility. Sandy Haven is also pretty sheltered, but you would need to be able to dry out. Depending how far up you want to go there are moorings around Neyland, and above the bridge there are plenty of small craft moorings at various locations such as Black Tar.

Tim Good

Visit site
Dale is sheltered in anything other than an Easterly wind, and often has moorings free with ample anchoring opportunities as well. Angle bay would be another possibility. Sandy Haven is also pretty sheltered, but you would need to be able to dry out. Depending how far up you want to go there are moorings around Neyland, and above the bridge there are plenty of small craft moorings at various locations such as Black Tar.

Thanks. With a lot of moorings being at a premium over there I assume any vacant moorings will be private and they won't want me sitting on them for 3 days. Do you know of any with official visitors moorings?

DennisF

Visit site
Thanks. With a lot of moorings being at a premium over there I assume any vacant moorings will be private and they won't want me sitting on them for 3 days. Do you know of any with official visitors moorings?

Dale has a visitors deep water pontoon in place over the season, and you can anchor there safely. They also have a pontoon running from the beach, but you are not allowed to stay overnight on that. Lawrenny Yacht Station (http://www.lawrennyyachtstation.co.uk/) used to have visitor moorings but you would need to check with them directly whether that is still the case. Other than that, visitor moorings are a bit thin on the ground but lots of places to anchor up the river depending on your draught.

Some useful information here:
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/bristol-channel/milford-haven-marinas/expanded.asp

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Dale has a visitors deep water pontoon in place over the season, and you can anchor there safely. They also have a pontoon running from the beach, but you are not allowed to stay overnight on that. Lawrenny Yacht Station (http://www.lawrennyyachtstation.co.uk/) used to have visitor moorings but you would need to check with them directly whether that is still the case.

They list prices for visitor moorings at http://www.lawrennyyachtstation.co.uk/charges.php#marinacharges

DennisF

Visit site
Doesn't the pontoon at Dale dry, or nearly/partially dry? It's been a while since I was there.

The deep water pontoon does not dry at any state of the tide, but you would want a dinghy with an outboard to get to and from it as it is a fair distance from shore. The shore pontoon does dry at low water springs and partially dries at all other tides, but you should not stay on it overnight anyway. My Berwick (Bilge keeler) can get on the shore pontoon end at fairly low water, but not low water itself usually.

At Lawrenny the moorings are only a short hop from the pontoon, but currents can be harsh.

Last edited:

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Anchor at Black Tar. Useful beach/ slip way for landing dingy. Spent a few nights and days anchored there while waiting for better irish sea crossing weather in 2 mtr drafted motor yacht.