Milford Haven boaters...Is anyone there?

bluedragon

Visit site
In an earlier post we all agreed that Milford Haven was probably part of the Bristol Channel (well just about!!). Thousands (?) of boats here, but nobody active in this forum section? Having recently shifted our base to MH Marina from Cardiff Bay, am I now all alone? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
NO.
I had a wonderful 2 and a half months moored just above the bridge last tyear. The water is great - this sailing is great and the islands are just beautiful. The puffins blew my mind away. !!!
But is 12 hours from Burnham - tide helping and wind allowing - so I missed it this year.
Ken

bluedragon

Visit site
Well in the end we decided that 2hrs max in the car was a bit quicker and easier than 15-18hrs by sea and waiting weeks for a good weather slot (a difficult decision I know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)...so we'll see how it all works out over the next year.

Last week over 48 hrs we did a passage from MH Marina to the top of the Cleddau, staying overnight with the wild geese at Landshipping. Left early the following morning to arrive and anchor off the sandy beach at Watwick (St Ann's Head) for a bacon fry-up. Left at mid-day for Skomer S.Haven...had lunch with two bull seals snorting at each other around the boat. Departed at 18:00 for Dale where we spent the night, then back to Watwick for some sun and snorkling. Got back into Milford Marina Saturday p.m.. Did about 40 miles in all, had two nights afloat and experienced everything from muddy backwater, to the manic mid-Haven, to the peace and serenity of an island nature reserve. I have to say that out of Cardiff we'd have done Watchet and back probably. Now don't get me wrong, we love Watchet, but we've spent so much time there in the past couple of years, the locals thought we had a berth! Time for a change we thought... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As the season gets a bit colder, we'll just use the boat as a base for walking the coastal path (186 miles apparently)

Anyway, it'd be nice if we could get more Pembrokeshire sailors onto the forum exchanging information and gossip. Pass the word around those of you based there.

nty

Visit site
We went the other way, was in Lawrenny a long time ago, but more recently Neyland.
Now just using a RIB in Cardiff Bay as less travelling since the little ones arrived.
Hope to back back down there in the future.

Nick

DIOGENES

Visit site
Thats the good thing about having a boat there, even if the weather is bad there is always somewhere to go an see, somewhere new to eat out, the main thing is you're away from home and all that. Used to have a mooring in Barry and was so limited with tides etc.Changed from a centaur to a fairline this year, just working out how to get a 36 footer out without hitting things singlehanded.

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Changed from a centaur to a fairline this year, just working out how to get a 36 footer out without hitting things singlehanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, you need to fit a keel, so you won't slip sideways. That would be a novel solution wouldn't it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh...and then a mast and sails to cut down on the fuel costs...

Visit site
Well I've only just found this bit of the forum !

As you might guess I'm Pembrokeshire based - have a swinging mooring just below the bridge opposite Neyland and the good fortune to live only a mile or so up the road so the commute isn't too bad.

I've only been sailing round here for the last few years - but boating and diving - especially around the islands for the last 30 years or so - so let me know if I can help with any local info etc.

Having said that - as these things work out it will probbaly be others telling me what I've missed !

bluedragon

Visit site
Well one question straight-off for yourself and the others. Having now got to Skomer, the next trip is through Jack Sound (pretty happy with that...can't be any worse than The Ranny off Penarth on a bad day, can it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). But to get the tide right to go through the sound from the south, it seems all wrong to continue north to Solva, or even worse on through Ramsey Sound. Returning seems to be just as problematic. I've read all the timings for going through the difficult bits, but how does the whole strategy work together to get to a) Solva b) Fishguard? Or do most people just go around everything offshore?

Visit site
Yes - well Jack sound, Ramsay sound and Strumble/St Davids head are not terribly helpfully arranged for an easy passage round.

However if conditions are OK (no serious wind over tide) then you don't need slack water for the sounds (though best avoid seriously against you) - and that can help you to do the trip in one - though depending on wind / speed its not uncommon to end up anchoring up waiting for the tide if you want to sail the whole way.

Alternatively as you say - you can go round - but wind against tide can make areas such as Broad sound (between Skokholm and Skomer) can make for a lively hour or two as well

bluedragon

Visit site
Thanks. Just waiting for some detailed charts to arrive and I'll have a look at this. It did seem odd to me that the guides talk about only going through at slack water (30 mins ? twice a day) but I suppose they play it safe as there are so many combinations of wind and tide (and neaps and springs).

tico

Visit site
No No you've got it all wrong!
You didnt mention the huge tides, savage overfalls, Oil refineries belching out smoke and the unfriendly natives, not to mention the dragons lurking in the uncharted rocks ready to disembowel unwary visitors and lobster pots strewn everywhere ready to ensnare props.

Far better to stay in civilised places like cardiff or the Solent.

Flyfire

Visit site
I'm looking for a mooring on the Pembroke Dock side of the Haven. How easy is to get one. Where would I look. Don't think I can afford the Neyland £170/metre/year prices.

All suggestions or warnings welcome.

TIA

Visit site
All moorings in the Haven are controlled by the port authority who then delegate responsibility for different Voluntary Control Areas (VCAs) to the various sailing clubs / yacht stations etc.

In terms of Pembroke Dock side of the river - the only set of moorings are controlled by PHYC yacht club (based next to Kelpies at Hobbs point) - there is a waiting list for moorings - but it depends a bit on the draft etc of your boat (deep water moorings are scarcer) - but contact the club and get on the list if interested.

Otherwise there is Rudders (commercial moorings - but a lot chaper than marina) - just upstream of the bridge - but on the other side - or as others have said - Llawrenny (or even Llangwm) - further up the river again

There are other options downstream - but all on the N side of the river I think - PM me if you wnat any further details

NastyMariaBird

Visit site
Moorings were available in Dale and Angle, but deep water ones are very exposed and both these places are a long slow drive from Pembroke. Both have excellent pubs as some consolation for the long drive.

I had a mooring near the lifeboat station in Angle, but it seems to have vanished this year!

Other threads that may be of interest