Mikonos

rjcoles

Visit site
We have to return to the UK early September for a wedding and we want to leave the boat safely in Mikonos Marina but I have not been able to find any contact details for them to arrange this. Does anybody have an email or phone number for them? This will be our first time in the Cyclades, so any info on this area will be great.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
No up to date info, one visit to Mikonos marina is enough! I understand there may be some lazy lines but whatever you do don't leave the boat on anchor. The harbourmaster does his best but struggles against the odds. There are ground chains to which you could attach your own line if your snorkelling is good enough, or there is a local diver who might do it for you.

saltylegs

Visit site
We were there in June on a tin ship cruise and I saw 2 boat crews snorkeling for their own anchors,
seemed to be a shortage of lazy lines on the island side but some for the mobos on the seaward side,
it was also blowing the dogs off their chains, not somewhere I would be comfortable leaving a boat. IMHO

truscott

Visit site
Moor up in Paroikia (on the inside) or Naousa (if you can get a berth) and catch the ferry.

Mikonos is awful IMHO.

Cheers PT.

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
You need to find somewhere safe to leave your boat and pay for guardianage (it is illegal to abandon a yacht in a Greek port without someone looking after it) then get a ferry. Possibly Ios might be an option? It's very sheltered there and I think it is on a ferry route to Mykonos. Or Naousa maybe?

I don't think anyone would advise you to leave a yacht in Mykonos, especially in Meltemi season.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No disrespect to the OP , but it just amazes me how may people come on the forum and ask for advise and then do some thing totally different especially went so many people with experiences in that field that the question is asked .
In this case ! Mikonos isn't a good place to leave a yacht unintended .
Hope you find some where safe to leave your loving yacht

Chris_Robb

Visit site
No disrespect to the OP , but it just amazes me how may people come on the forum and ask for advise and then do some thing totally different especially went so many people with experiences in that field that the question is asked .
In this case ! Mikonos isn't a good place to leave a yacht unintended .
Hope you find some where safe to leave your loving yacht

As every one has said - do not leave your boat unattended in Mikonos. Easyjet can alter tickets even destinations at very reasonable rates. You could therefore go the Leros Evros or Lakki Marina and leave it there, and take a ferry to Kos and fly home from Kos. Both will look after the boat well, and both are good winter storage places if you have not chosen where to go for the winter (Lakki - which is run by Agmar Marine is much cheaper but safe and good.) Both are excellent technically.

People are a nuisance having weddings!!!!

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
A while since we've been there - like many, one visit to Minos' marina was enough - but I too would recommend that you try to contact Naousa and get a spot in the marina there, it's more sheltered/secure by a factor of perhaps ten compared to Mykonos and there are regular ferries; it's only about 10 or 15M to the south. Your post says 'early September' so the July/August 'high season' ought to have eased and space should be available, if you're really stuck, I'd rather leave a boat twin/triple anchored in the north side of the bay at Naousa than in Mikonos Marina.

rjcoles

Visit site
OK I can take a hint, Mikonos is out!!!

Following up on BobnLesley post I have had a look at Naousa Marina on Paros, this looks possible, ferry the day before and after plus hotels will still be cheaper than changing flights via Athens and leaving the boat in Olympic marina (plus keeping the boat safe)
Any comments on Naousa Marina?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Naousa is OK. It can be uncomfortable in there in a fresh northerly but it has good lazy lines and there is a permanent harbourmaster who will keep an eye on things for you. Make sure the boat is on the breakwater side rather than the landward. It will roll there but little risk of damage.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
Any comments on Naousa Marina?
We are back in the UK and our boat is currently moored there until September. Contact is Giannis Sopanis ("Yani"), Arpyia Yacht Marinas - Naoussa, Tel: 00 30 694 277 2023. He has taken a lease on the harbour and it is run as a private enterprise, so negotiate with him for a price. The daily rate was €2/metre, water and electricity extra.

As Vyv says, a strong N does send in a swell, but the breakwater side also suffers from ferry wash. We are moored on the landward side behind the short quay. Our lazy line is stout enough to secure a liner: we are also pulled well out from the quay, with a handy billy to enable access. Before we left we had some days of Meltemi, NW 5/6 gusting to 7. Nothing exceptional, but we were well secured, and Yani was much in evidence checking moorings, and generally keeping an eye on things.
We travelled back to the UK (Gatwick) in a day; catching the Pireas ferry from Paroikia (15 minutes taxi from Naoussa) and EasyJet from Athens.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
That's a great place to be but it has always been occupied when we were there. Only space for one boat I think, so you might be unlucky.
You're right Vyv, I think we managed to negotiate it on the basis that Yani was getting two months money - and being an independent operator he calls the shots and he simply moved others to make room. You might actually get another yacht there, depending on rjcole's draft. We are 1.7m, and pulled out from the quay where we are, we have 3m under the keel. Further along, the depth at the quay is only 2m, which would make me nervous given the possibility of the swell coinciding with a period of high pressure. The other possibility that we looked at was on the outside of the short quay leading to the breakwater - but that was chock a bloc with local craft and other long stay moorers.