Mid Atlantic Bouys

Habebty

Visit site
Mid ocean bouys........

How are they anchored,

How heavy is the chain and how can the buoyancy of the bouy support tens (hundreds?) of tons of chain as the one in this months YM doesn't look that big?

How much would the 2500-3000 feet of mooring chain/wire weigh?

Why am I wondering this? :)

Should I wonder about other stuff? :)

geoid96

Visit site
As above, the weight is not great as I think polyprop is normally used. This will have close to neutral buoyancy. The normal method is also to use a sub-surface float, maybe a 100m down. This takes the weight and current drag of the mooring rope. The buoy is then attached to that with chain or nylon.

Evadne

Visit site
Mid ocean bouys........

How are they anchored,

How heavy is the chain and how can the buoyancy of the bouy support tens (hundreds?) of tons of chain as the one in this months YM doesn't look that big?

How much would the 2500-3000 feet of mooring chain/wire weigh?

Things like PAP PAP buoy data page have jacketed steel wire or sometimes jacketed dyneema that rises to the sub surface instrument package. That has its own buoyancy and a f-off big chain to a surface buoy. There will be some other sub surface buoyancy further down the wire as well.
The water depth is about 4800m and the watch circle of the buoy is something like 1500m diameter. I think the buoy weight something like 23 tonnes. The anchor weight is several tonnes, but the weight of the mooring wire itself helps hold the whole package in place.
IMG_6781.jpg

Last edited:

Angele

Visit site
With my luck I'm sure I'd sail straight into one of those at night...

Isn't it very thoughtful of these people to think of us and provide mooring buoys mid-ocean. You've been going a week or so and really just need a good night's sleep and a day on a mooring to catch up on chores... :rolleyes:

I diagnose "cabin fever".

Last edited:

Ravi

Visit site
Mid ocean bouys........

Such thoughts are healthy in February when it is blowing old boots and the body is ashore!

the weight is not great as I think polyprop is normally used. .
What a coincidence, my mate, who just got back from a tranatlantic crossing is selling off some 5,000 metre lengths of polyprop. I wonder ......

Isn't it very thoughtful of these people to think of us and provide mooring buoys mid-ocean. You've been going a week or so and really just need a good night's sleep and a day on a mooring to catch up on chores... :rolleyes:

I absolutely love the idea of using one of these things as a mooring buoy! How long before someone uses one of these things as a storm anchor? !!! :D

Poignard

Visit site

Yes, you'll just get your head down and some bugger in a RIB will come alongside demanding money.

capnsensible

Visit site
With my luck I'm sure I'd sail straight into one of those at night...

On our first transatlantic, at one dark oclock watch change, my wife and I were interested to see a weather buoy pass half a gelcoat thickness down our port side. This was about midway between the Canaries and Cabo Verdes. Bet I could never find it again......