Micro wire bond

PabloPicasso

Visit site
What is the marine standard for joining tiny wires?

Lots of electronics have tiny thin data wires. What is the best reliable method for connecting them?

penfold

Visit site
Bootlace ferrules are good for larger stuff but once it gets down to phone wire sized cable it all becomes very fiddly and delicate, even ferrules don't work terribly well but are still better than nothing.

mikefleetwood

Visit site
It rather depends on what you mean by "tiny wires" and why you need to join them? If you're talking about multi-strand tinned copper wire in sizes like 7/.02 or 16/0.2 (or smaller), with several connections in the same place, then some kind of crimp connector is probably best, although be prepared to pay eye-watering prices for the tools. This kind of connection is only suitable for internal connections and should not normally be considered weather-proof (let alone "marine"!).

If you need external, weather-proof connections, either bulkhead or inline, then you will have to shop around for something suitable. You probably won't be far wrong with something from the "Buccaneer" range - if you can find one with the right wire sizes and number of contacts. If I remember correctly, they can be soldered or crimped with a relatively cheap tool.

Good luck!

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
We used to use Lemo circular connectors on our test rigs. They would survive marine use but are indeed eyewateringly expensive. RS do a 'cheapo' (read 'slightly less eyewatering') range.

Of course, the actual marine standard is to twist the two ends together then tape over with a torn strip of gaffer tape :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I solder and heat shrink such connections. It isn't the gold standard, but it is more reliable than any terminal I choose to afford!

I do have a good quality crimper and keep trying to use crimped connections, but they invariably seem to fail. They are good for use at sea, but I prefer solder.

Last edited:

andsarkit

Visit site
We used to use Lemo circular connectors on our test rigs. They would survive marine use but are indeed eyewateringly expensive. RS do a 'cheapo' (read 'slightly less eyewatering') range.
Bucanneer connectors are rather large for small wires. I have used Lemo and Fischer connectors for work but they are ridiculously expensive.
I have used these much cheaper ones on my boat. IP68 with gold plated contacts in two sizes with 2 to 6 contacts and 5A to 30A ratings.
1683795008188.png
CPC connectors