Merry fisher 645 or Merry fisher 605?

bobgil

Visit site
Hi
Keen to upgrade from my Orkney 520, which i love, but want a boat with 2/3 berths.
i really like both the Merry fisher 645 and 605 and really wanted to know, size wise, would the MF 605 sleep 3 adults (i think the spec indicates 3/4?)
i would be using it for boys weekends out to the argyll islands (around oban and south).
i would be interested in second hand - ideally 3-7 years old and 115hp
Has anyone experience of owning both versions and is there much difference in their handling - i have noticed other threads in this forum indicating the 645 can be prone to slapping
Also are they both similar in terms of ease of launching/retrieving?
many thanks in advance
bob

ST840

Visit site
I can’t speak for the models you ask about, but I had a 755 and 3/4 adults would struggle to sleep in that. So a 605 or 645 would be worse. 2 adults and a child would be ok.
And about the slapping, all MF boats slam and crash over a wave that’s not too big. Just slow down a bit and they’re ok.

YellowPeril

Visit site
I have a 2016 MF 605 with 115 outboard.
It is ‘cosy’ when just my wife and I sleep on board – the forward berth extends aft into most of the cabin area, leaving enough space for one person to stand in the space remaining. If the person sleeping on the forward starboard side wishes to get up, they have to climb over the person sleeping centrally – the helm blocks their exit.

For us it is a great boat for 2, but I would suggest it is too small for 3 adults to sleep comfortably.
We fitted the rear awning which in affect doubles the weatherproof space, but am not sure if the boat is quite wide enough for person 3 to comfortably sleep in this area.

We do get great pleasure from the 605 in the Solent, but it is a light boat so rocks and rolls at anchor, and doesn’t suffer rougher conditions as well as a longer/heavier boat might.

The 645 was the predecessor to the 695 so is bigger in every direction and therefore may just offer you the space you need, but it will still be cosy for 3 adults. As it is the previous generation MF you may get more for your ££, plus there may be more boats on the second-hand market to choose from. It also has a deeper hull so may fair better in slightly rougher conditions.

If looking at the MF 645, also consider the Beneteau Antares 6.80 (its cousin).

rwoofer

Visit site
I had a MF645 and 2 adults, 3 children slept on board. In terms of space for the length it is unbeatable, but you are right it can slam a bit in rough seas (or at least the solent chop). I suspect it would tackle bigger waves better.

bobgil

Visit site
I have a 2016 MF 605 with 115 outboard.
It is ‘cosy’ when just my wife and I sleep on board – the forward berth extends aft into most of the cabin area, leaving enough space for one person to stand in the space remaining. If the person sleeping on the forward starboard side wishes to get up, they have to climb over the person sleeping centrally – the helm blocks their exit.

For us it is a great boat for 2, but I would suggest it is too small for 3 adults to sleep comfortably.
We fitted the rear awning which in affect doubles the weatherproof space, but am not sure if the boat is quite wide enough for person 3 to comfortably sleep in this area.

We do get great pleasure from the 605 in the Solent, but it is a light boat so rocks and rolls at anchor, and doesn’t suffer rougher conditions as well as a longer/heavier boat might.

The 645 was the predecessor to the 695 so is bigger in every direction and therefore may just offer you the space you need, but it will still be cosy for 3 adults. As it is the previous generation MF you may get more for your ££, plus there may be more boats on the second-hand market to choose from. It also has a deeper hull so may fair better in slightly rougher conditions.

If looking at the MF 645, also consider the Beneteau Antares 6.80 (its cousin).

Hi Yellow peril
really appreciate your comments
i think i need to go onto a 605 myself!
how do you find fuel economy - what type of 115 do you have and what sort of load?
best wishes
bob

bobgil

Visit site
I had a MF645 and 2 adults, 3 children slept on board. In terms of space for the length it is unbeatable, but you are right it can slam a bit in rough seas (or at least the solent chop). I suspect it would tackle bigger waves better.
thanks rwoofer
it is clearly big enough for my needs at present
why do you no longer have it ?
best wishes
bob

ST840

Visit site
it is clearly big enough for my needs at present
This statement seems to indicate that in the near future you would need a bigger boat. Why not if budget allows look at the MF7’s? Try the earlier 725 for example. That extra half a meter will make all the difference and you’ll probably be more inclined to keep it longer.

YellowPeril

Visit site
Hi Yellow peril
really appreciate your comments
i think i need to go onto a 605 myself!
how do you find fuel economy - what type of 115 do you have and what sort of load?
best wishes
bob

Hi Bob

In answer to you fuel economy question, so I don't contradict myself I have copied an answer that I have given when asked previously :cool:

From memory:
At idle it will use approx. 0.7 litre per hour once warm.
At ~2000rpm / 6 knots, it uses between 2.5 and 5 litres per hour (depending on the current). This is about max speed at non-planing speeds.
The sweet spot is at 4200rpm which allows us to cruise at ~19 knots. This uses approx. 18 litres per hour (let’s say 1 litre per mile).
At WOT we can just about hit 30 knots in flat conditions, but fuel usage exceeds 46 litres per hour (so 1.5+ litres per mile).

Here is a reasonable youtube video of the recently updated 605:
Picture it with 3 adults onboard - I think you will be happier with a 645 or bigger, and I think the sea keeping manners will be a little better with the extra few inches in every direction. Because they are slightly older, you should get more for your ££ and will have more choice. If you want to spend more, look at the 695 or bigger.

Happy hunting and good luck.

bobgil

Visit site
This statement seems to indicate that in the near future you would need a bigger boat. Why not if budget allows look at the MF7’s? Try the earlier 725 for example. That extra half a meter will make all the difference and you’ll probably be more inclined to keep it longer.
Thanks again ST840
You are so right in my wish for a bigger boat, but i do need one that can be trailered at present
i will however have a lookmany thanks again
bob

bobgil

Visit site
Hi Bob

In answer to you fuel economy question, so I don't contradict myself I have copied an answer that I have given when asked previously :cool:

From memory:
At ~2000rpm / 6 knots, it uses between 2.5 and 5 litres per hour (depending on the current). This is about max speed at non-planing speeds.
The sweet spot is at 4200rpm which allows us to cruise at ~19 knots. This uses approx. 18 litres per hour (let’s say 1 litre per mile).
At WOT we can just about hit 30 knots in flat conditions, but fuel usage exceeds 46 litres per hour (so 1.5+ litres per mile).

Picture it with 3 adults onboard - I think you will be happier with a 645 or bigger, and I think the sea keeping manners will be a little better with the extra few inches in every direction. Because they are slightly older, you should get more for your ££ and will have more choice. If you want to spend more, look at the 695 or bigger.

hi yellow peril.
great video and info on your fuel consumption - many thanks!
i'm on the lookout now.....
Cheers
Bob

Tonryn

Visit site
Hi Bob

From memory:

Hi YellowPeril
Hi Bob

From memory:

Hi YellowPeril, it has been a while since you posted this. I have the same setup as you, a 605 with a suzuki df115. I don't suppose you recall the prop size on your outboard? Mine seems to bog down when trying to get on the plane, one there it runs good. I was wondering if the outboard wad propped correctly.
Thanks Tony

YellowPeril

Visit site
Hi YellowPeril

Hi YellowPeril, it has been a while since you posted this. I have the same setup as you, a 605 with a suzuki df115. I don't suppose you recall the prop size on your outboard? Mine seems to bog down when trying to get on the plane, one there it runs good. I was wondering if the outboard wad propped correctly.
Thanks Tony
Hi Tony

I'm afraid I can't tell you what prop I had as I have now sold the boat. All I do know is that it was a standard fit size from new.
The only times I had the boat bog down trying to get on a plane were:
  • Dirty bottom - even a smallish amount of barnacles was noticeable.
  • Poor fuel i.e. old E10 95 RON petrol. Since the ethanol content was increased it can be problematic if the boat is not used frequently / fuel gets old. I started using 97 RON if using the boat infrequently.
  • Heavy load - i.e. full fuel / water tanks, full fridge, 3+ adults.

Sorry I can't help more.

Tonryn

Visit site
Hi Tony

I'm afraid I can't tell you what prop I had as I have now sold the boat. All I do know is that it was a standard fit size from new.
The only times I had the boat bog down trying to get on a plane were:
  • Dirty bottom - even a smallish amount of barnacles was noticeable.
  • Poor fuel i.e. old E10 95 RON petrol. Since the ethanol content was increased it can be problematic if the boat is not used frequently / fuel gets old. I started using 97 RON if using the boat infrequently.
  • Heavy load - i.e. full fuel / water tanks, full fridge, 3+ adults.

Sorry I can't help more.
No problem, and thank you for the reply.