mercruiser outdrive problems

Freebee

Visit site
I have just put my boat in the water it has 4 cyl mercruisers with outdrives of unknown age. One outdrive has no forward gear and when shifted into reverse the engine stalls.

Does anyone have any mercruiser experience is this a control problem or could the drive be shot? what tests can I run to isolate the problem? Thirdly I am told these are pre alpha drives how can I identify the model? I don't have any serial numbers!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Hmm. Lookes like its buggered. Take off, investigate then mend. All quite normal stuff. Only cost a few thousand to mend. With special Vo**o extra special parts!!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

David2452

Visit site
Sounds like the lower shift cable needs adjustment or is sticking or possible wear in the lower shift lever, buy a Clymer manual and follow the trouble shooting procedures.

David

ArthurWood

Visit site
Mike - mercurymarine.com might be able to help. Also make sure you have oil in the outdrives before you go much further.
How were they when you last used them, or is this the first time?

Freebee

Visit site
Thanks for that, tried to limp round from Poole to christchurch on remaining good drive, engine water hose blew with a bang - exhaust flexi gave out due to overheat before we could pick up a mooring. Have now robbed other engine for parts and intend to try again on this evenings tide. After exhaustive tests tied up alongside. This is what you get when you put a boat in the water thats been on dry land for lord knows how long.

syd

Visit site
Hiya Mike,
Log on to www.boatered.com and post your questions to George Van Paris in the engines and electrics forum. He is well versed in the ways of the Mercruiser and will give you advice almost straight away.
Cheers
Syd

My boat has magical powers, I can't stop rubbing it!

ArthurWood

Visit site
You must be a great optimist, if that's the right word, to have put your boat in the water after so long without checking it first. My 15 yr old 19ft Wellcraft w/Merc 3.9 +Alpha started first time after four years in storage, but coolant came out of places it shouldn't have. Fortunately it was still on its trailer. And still is as I have not got around to investigating further. Retirement keeps me sooo busy:). BTW, you might also try boatdoctor.com. They're a funny crowd but know a hell of a lot about petrol engines

Freebee

Visit site
Optomistic and impatient probably. Having spent many weeks working on the previous boat so that somebody would buy it, I was impatient to grab whats left of the summer months to use the new one. On the basis that we would probably be spurred on once the new boats in the water I was probably a little hasty. Our over heating problems did not manifest themselves until the engine was under load.

Any way we managed to complete our journey on one engine and now have the boat on our mooring and in a position where we can tinker with the engines until they both run! Retirement I wish- spent the day at work wishing I was back at sea!

oldgit

Visit site
Has the gearbox been disconnected from the leg at any time.The box must be refitted with gear lever in forward and with prop held against gears to put splined gear shift shaft in correct position.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Good luck with it Mike. I've just spent $2,500 on bottom painting and minor gel coat repairs on our Sea Ray and am thinking about becoming a bagger at the local supermarket in order to sustain the expense:)

Freebee

Visit site
I dont know and when I bought the boat from a yard I was unable to talk to the owner only the boat yard management who acted as intermediaries. I have to say the price paid did reflect the uncertainties. I have bought a seloc workshop manual whcih will arrive in time for deeper investigation next weekend. The majority of advise recieved from the States via the Bertram 25 website suggests the problem lies with incorrect cable adjustment and that all my early DIY methods to try and force the drive to respond were exactly the wrong thing to do!! So a bit of light bookwork followed by some investiagtion may set things straight -I hope!