Mercruiser disaster

glmuse

Visit site
Serious internal problems with our Mercruiser 150hp 530DTA. Anyone know of a supplier of reconditioned engines/new engines/equivalent engine to fit a Bravo II leg - Falcon 23spc.

Geraldine

<hr width=100% size=1>Geraldine

tr7v8

Visit site
Not sure but isn't it an Italian VM as a basic engine. Bits are bit pricey but they can be rebuilt and cannot think for the life of me who on the forum had them.
They are modular, individual heads etc. so unless you've totally trashed it could be cheaper to rebuild. The VM was used in the early Range Rovers but in 4 pot form so that maybe a source of spares.
I'd do a ring around, Mike Bellamy at Lancing Marine has some Merc bits he may know something.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

BarryH

Visit site
What about the TD5 that the second generation Discoveries and Defenders use, Think they're VM lumps too and 5 pots, dunno maybe I've got my wires crossed.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

tr7v8

Visit site
I believe it's a "BMW" design actually designed and built by Steyr, don't think it's a VM. They are 5 pots though.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

BarryH

Visit site
I thought the P38A used the beemer lump. Then when ford took them over they ditched the BMW engine in favour of the TD5.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

G

Early Range Rover 'Classic' used the VM 4 pot lump, and it was 'orrible. Later Classics used the 200/300TDi lump, and that wasn't very pleasant, either. The P38 used the BMW six potter, and was OK, as long as you had a run up at things. Can't comment on the new TD5. The BMW 2.5 aqnd 3 litre diesels are very smooth high revving engines - I'm surprised no-one's looked at marinising, particularly the 3 litre one: 185hp and loads of torque.

<hr width=100% size=1>

glmuse

Visit site
Definitely a BMW - 'BMW' moulded onto the engine - unless BMW sourced another manufacturers engine.

It was new in 1989. Ideally we want a new or reconditioned identical engine.

We know the D-tronic diesel currently fitted to Mercruiser Diesel is a VM sourced engine. In 1989 the Mercruiser was a 5 and 6 cylinder BMW sourced engine.

Does anyone know what engine was used after the BMW but before the VM. The engine was 165hp. Were they any good?

ANY information gratefully received!

Geraldine

ps - Those Eastering on the Thames - have a Pimms for me!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Geraldine