Mercruiser 3.0 LX seized but not inside the crank case

CRD

Visit site
Due to the lockdown and having to shield my boat has been in the water all winter. Ran it in March and all was OK
But the boat has taken on water and the bilge pump has packed up so the engine was sat in some water. I took the starter motor off and that is US being filled with corrosion and crystels.
Crankcase and combustion chambers seem OK as the water wasn't deep but what can seize up on the flywheel/bell-housing?

spannerman

Visit site
If it was seawater then it could have come in through the bellows which means the gimbal bearing will have mostly likely seized.

CRD

Visit site
That makes a lot of sense. When I took the starter out it was really crusted up badly. so its a problem in the aft area. Time to get the boat out and do a lot of maintenance. All good fun!!!
Do you think its worth trying to get a bit of movement from the front pully or do they seize solid with see water gets in?
These old "classic" boats/engines/drives need a lot of looking after, which isn't a problem until something like this pandemic comes along and stops you getting to them.
You live and learn but I should have known better.

simonfraser

Visit site
once you have the engine out you'll find out what else has corroded, keep us informed, plenty of help and interest on this forum (y)

Caraway

Visit site
I would tend towards getting the motor out and the sump pan off so you can see what's what. Just trying to turn the engine doesn't sound like a plan.

penfold

Visit site
No harm in putting a socket on the crankshaft and trying to turn it, unless you're The Hulk there's no danger of breaking anything.

Caraway

Visit site
OK. Do you
a) run it and suffer problems later on
or do you
b) strip it clean it and check for corrosion, hone the bores, replace bearings, maybe the cam and followers etc.

spannerman

Visit site
If the oil looks normal and the level is correct then its safe to say water hasn’t got into the sump. We get several drowned engines each month and the very first thing we do is check the oil for contamination.

CRD

Visit site
Thanks for the input. The oil is clean, only having run for 20 minutes and the level is the same as it was before the problem.The engine has done 23 hours so not worth rebuilding yet, unless there is damage internally. When I was younger I would strip and rebuild an engine for fun now I'm old and disabled the fun has been lost!
I've got a feeling Spannerman has hit it on the head, Gimbal bearing. The hull is built like the proverbial outhouse so it makes sense for sea water to get in from the leg.
Before I can get it out of the water for inspection I need to get another trailer as mine has died. I could hire one but I would rather have it sat on a trailer to work on it. So a post in the wanted section for a twin axle trailer to take 1800kg ish. Its never ending