Memory 19

Bembo

Visit site
I'd like to improve the balance of my Memory 19's rig. A reefed main leaves the jib too strong. I only one (full size) jib, with a roller furl (not really a reef). Does anyone with same/ similar boat have any experience of a successful solution (or suggestion)? Perhaps a smaller jib to change to when reefing main? Ideally a clever(er than my basic w/m roller) system which allows you to properly reef/ furl the jib. Presumably needs a solid luff?

While asking, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a Memory 19 (I sail out of Butley, near Orford, Suffolk) and has experience they'd like to share of getting their boat rigged to their satisfaction (or would like to empathise with someone who hasn't). I've had my Memory for approx 8 years and while she sails beautifully, going single handed in anything other than a light breeze is a challenge. I'm sure it could/ should be easier than this, but have never had a chance to ogle another Memory up close to see how it might be better done.

Many thanks, Ben

DownWest

Visit site
Inner forestay with a smaller sail on a furler? Friend has this and it works well for him. It also brings the centre of effort further back and helps balance.

srm

Visit site
I had similar problems with a Drascombe Longboat in fresh winds. Dropping the main and sailing under mizzen and jib led to unfair load on the main mast. I thought it better to sail with all three sails reefed, but jib was on a w/m furler so was not being kind to the luff.

Aquaboy

Visit site
put reef points across the jib with a new tack and clew. Set up a down haul from the new tack led back to the cockpit. The original furler would most like just lay down next to the bowsprit .......... or is that part of your forstay. May need a second one like shrimpers?
One of my favourite spots to overnight........usually right next door to you.....

RobbieW

Visit site
As I know Greg, who built Memory's for some years and still sails one, I emailed him your post. Heres his reply...

"The Memory sets a big sail plan making it very rapid in light airs but as the wind builds it needs to be reefed. However when reducing the mainsail by reefing, the boat will become unbalanced and the jib needs to be reduced in area.
Having built sailed and raced the Memory 19 boats for the past 25 years I have seen every conceivable system installed .I can assure Ben that the best solution is to keep the big jib on the Wycombe Martin which is an excellent furler …this should be on an adjustable bowsprit outhaul to help adjust the balance of the boat (also so that it can be brought inboard if needed)
Buy a narrow smaller jib with a long spectra luff and free fly this from a second 2:1 jib halyard . Curl up the big jib and then hoist the small one which can be flown from the stem head…being a long narrow sail there is no need for another furler as it is easy to handle ,but a clew outhaul is useful and means the sail change can be made from the cockpit.
The halyard can also be used in light airs to fly an asymmetric chute in light airs…a real performance enhancer!
Snap shackles can be fitted to the WM furler and the second halyard for even more versatility.
This arrangement has been used by all of the really successful race winners .
Roy Harts in his Memory Greensleeves has over the last 20 years dominated the East Coast Old Gaffers racing but has also made many epic sea voyages including sailing sailing to the Scillies and sailing around Britain single handed …he has a selection of headsails to suit the conditions.
In contrast a lumpy ugly and expensive roller reefer can never have such a nice shaped sails ,when reefed loses luff length and windward performance…it cannot be so versatile .plus when it comes to raising and lowering the mast the fragile foil becomes a real pain.
The worst situation with a foil type reefer is of course is if it jambs up ,the sail cannot be lowered or reduced and being round the forestay at the end of the bowsprit there is no realistic way of dealing with it…..dangerous on a Memory!
I hope that this helps….Greg"

I'll PM you his email address should you want to make contact direct

Bembo

Visit site
Thank you for the fantastically useful responses, especially Robbie W for taking the time to contact Greg and to pass on his details. The case against a foil type reefing jib is well made. I'll try to turn some of this technical theory into practical action. Looking out at the creek over these windy days made me glad to have the boat in the garden. Won't be long though...

Thanks again, Ben

RichardC

Visit site
As I know Greg, who built Memory's for some years and still sails one, I emailed him your post. Heres his reply...

"The Memory sets a big sail plan making it very rapid in light airs but as the wind builds it needs to be reefed. However when reducing the mainsail by reefing, the boat will become unbalanced and the jib needs to be reduced in area.
Having built sailed and raced the Memory 19 boats for the past 25 years I have seen every conceivable system installed .I can assure Ben that the best solution is to keep the big jib on the Wycombe Martin which is an excellent furler …this should be on an adjustable bowsprit outhaul to help adjust the balance of the boat (also so that it can be brought inboard if needed)
Buy a narrow smaller jib with a long spectra luff and free fly this from a second 2:1 jib halyard . Curl up the big jib and then hoist the small one which can be flown from the stem head…being a long narrow sail there is no need for another furler as it is easy to handle ,but a clew outhaul is useful and means the sail change can be made from the cockpit.
The halyard can also be used in light airs to fly an asymmetric chute in light airs…a real performance enhancer!
Snap shackles can be fitted to the WM furler and the second halyard for even more versatility.
This arrangement has been used by all of the really successful race winners .
Roy Harts in his Memory Greensleeves has over the last 20 years dominated the East Coast Old Gaffers racing but has also made many epic sea voyages including sailing sailing to the Scillies and sailing around Britain single handed …he has a selection of headsails to suit the conditions.
In contrast a lumpy ugly and expensive roller reefer can never have such a nice shaped sails ,when reefed loses luff length and windward performance…it cannot be so versatile .plus when it comes to raising and lowering the mast the fragile foil becomes a real pain.
The worst situation with a foil type reefer is of course is if it jambs up ,the sail cannot be lowered or reduced and being round the forestay at the end of the bowsprit there is no realistic way of dealing with it…..dangerous on a Memory!
I hope that this helps….Greg"

I'll PM you his email address should you want to make contact direct
I have another Memory tech query. Mine was built by the Liverpool Boat Company in, I think, 1976: No 66 Velindra and was I think worked on by Greg at some point prior to my ownership. The hole in the centre plate has worn to the point when I think I have to do something about it..........but does anyone know how to remove the pivot bolt? Many thanks