med trip

bartsbutt

Visit site
advise needed
I own a Moody 27 bilge keeler and am wondering if it would be a feasible idea to cruise it to the med. I personally would love to do it but would welcome the opinions of some more experienced sailors as to whether my boat design would be suitable.

bartsbutt

RupertW

Visit site
It will be easier than sailing it in the UK - limited space down below matters far less when you are living in the cockpit and around the deck - also as waterproofs are hardly ever needed (just take your T shirt off so it doesn’t get wet) then downstairs is a dryer and nicer place.

But a Bimini and well insulated fridge are essential to enjoying that beer or wine at anchor and of course keeping food fresh in a hot climate.

I personally would not want a centre cockpit as the back of the boat is your front door to the quay or your tender, but plenty seem to find them fine.

bartsbutt

Visit site
what about on the crossing of Biscay I read that bilge keelers slide sideways on big waves which I think should be an advantage

pcatterall

Visit site
Go through the canals as we did. The marinas/stopping places are cheap ( free even) a great way to see France! Be warned though; our travelling time was probably 3 weeks but it took us 2 years due to unavoidable eating and drinking en route!

cherod

Visit site
I don’t suppose that you are planning on setting off just yet in winter but when you do you best to check the route is open because many of the canals are closed just now due to floods or droughts or swarms of locusts or something .

bartsbutt

Visit site
I would definitely not go now as its to close to my annual job of giving the grandkids my hard earned money (xmas presents) it would be a summer trip if I went anytime

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Go through the canals as we did. The marinas/stopping places are cheap ( free even) a great way to see France! Be warned though; our travelling time was probably 3 weeks but it took us 2 years due to unavoidable eating and drinking en route!
Not quite cheap/free if you consider that some of the Vignette fee goes to maintaining Halts.
For OP French Canal costs HERE
When I had a 22 footer I went to the Med in 95, I enjoyed it so much that I did it again in 98.
Now I have a 33 ft bilge keel ketch, the canals would be a bit of a hassle taking the masts down so I have crossed Biscay a few times to Spain and Portugal. Bilge keels were not an issue as you try to pick weather conditions to suit, mainly with the wind behind you.
You have a solid 27 footer, go for it, either way.

bartsbutt

Visit site
I think I am convinced as we have a place in Spain. would be nice to do it as a retirement experience. probably cross Biscay or even coast hop, who knows I might enjoy it,

Pavalijo

Visit site
We crossed Biscay from Sables D’Olonne to Gijon - about 245nm. We were not under pressure time wise and picked a forecast that allowed us to sail 2/3 of the way on a falling wind forecast.
Loved every minute of the crossing, two up in our 38 footer but would have been happy in a smaller yacht.
Having time to pick your forecast is key to an enjoyable Biscay crossing IMO!

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
My previous boat was a Centaur, also a 27-foot bilge keeler, and sailed from Scotland (previous owner was from Dundee) down to the Med via the French canals.
Unless pressed for time - never a good idea when sailing far - I would go through the canals; might be pooh-poohed by some as 'boring' but it gives one ample time to get gradually acclimatised while enjoying the trip.

macd

Visit site
what about on the crossing of Biscay I read that bilge keelers slide sideways on big waves which I think should be an advantage

As Pavalijo implied, Biscay's fearsome reputation is often overstated (even by insurance companies). I suspect that the Portuguese coast, where typical routings offer far less sea-room and many harbours have shallow bars which can be lethal in Atlantic swells, claims more small vessels than the whole of Biscay. All of it deserves respect.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
As Pavalijo implied, Biscay's fearsome reputation is often overstated (even by insurance companies). I suspect that the Portuguese coast, where typical routings offer far less sea-room and many harbours have shallow bars which can be lethal in Atlantic swells, claims more small vessels than the whole of Biscay. All of it deserves respect.

+1

We've done 3 Biscay trips, only one was good sailing weather, the other two had lots of engine time. You mention a summer trip but, if you haven't done the French west coast before and the Rias, leave as early as you can in spring and don't hurry. You could spend all summer just getting as far as Galicia and still miss lots. French and Spanish 4 day weather forecasts usually accurate so no need to stick your neck out. As mentioned, the Portuguese coast needs care as many ports close when swell high.