Med mooring - failed ground line shackle

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Haven't been to the boat much this year, due other priorities - but finally managed to jump on a plane Thursday night. Spent a very pleasant day at Villefranche on Friday - but on returning to the berth, one of the ground lines just kept coming up until it was apparent that it was no longer attached to the master chain. Diver came round this morning, and fitted new shackles to both ground lines. This is the the shackle that was still holding! (broken by the diver to remove it, but you get the point). Both shackles were 7 years old.

URL]

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
The marinas view is that they are the responsibility of the berth owner (ie me). I had to pay the diver (a not unreasonable €140).

I'm shocked by that as it's their ground tackle! I would have thought they wouldn't want anyone messing with it?:ambivalence:

julians

Visit site
Yeah I suppose so, mine is 20 years old now?.

Iim responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of mine as well.

MapisM

Visit site
The marinas view is that they are the responsibility of the berth owner (ie me).
I never heard of such (imho silly) principle, is that normal in SoF marinas?

PS: coming to think of it, what do they do with transit boats?
Does the marina expect anyone coming in for one night to call the diver before mooring?!?

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site

Does the marina expect anyone coming in for one night to call the diver before mooring?!?

I don't know enough about other marinas down here to comment on whether or not this is common practice. If the ground tackle failed for a visitor I imagine the capitainerie would just make it the leaseholder's problem

Portofino

Visit site
I don't know enough about other marinas down here to comment on whether or not this is common practice. If the ground tackle failed for a visitor I imagine the capitainerie would just make it the leaseholder's problem

Ours is run by elected board members. Berth holders are shareholders and there’s AGM ,s etc .
The term is 3 years and then they can if they wish seek re-election.
So over a period of time the board has evolved member ( berth holder ) friendly policy’s .

Leccy , water , security , and general ground tackle is inc in the maintenance pro rata on how many sq M your berth is .Each meter sq is 1 share when it comes to voting .
At AGM ,s folks puts motions and they are voted on .You can do postal votes as well .

So if we where turkeys , the first motion would be to ban Christmas, which I would suspect get voted through :)

There’s no set identical format for running SoF marinas they are all different .
Ours as said is run by us .

Hurricane

Visit site

I seem to remember a few years ago arriving at a berth (maybe Malta - maybe Jimmy will remember) and there were no lazy lines.
I think they were expecting us to fit our own.
Can't remember the exact details but I don't remember paying for it.
Maybe they were just "trying it on"
We were there for a couple of weeks.

vas

Visit site
curious J,

isn't the "master" chain nicely set in mud in Antibes?
how far off the bow is the shackle?
I had to put my own ground kit in Volos port, no main chain to link to, so a 90kg and a 40kg anchor on two massive chains around 30m long and then two thickish lines coming up to the bow (around 20m) so the main link would be something around 50m from the bow and always in the mud. Doubt there's going to be much movement in there to wear the shackle!

V.

mcanderson

Visit site
Jimmy,

Wish you had said that you were about. We are down right now, but off on Monday am.

Re ground tackle - PVB don’t do this as part of the annual maintenance?? Strange. Here in BSM it is always checked and replaced if required.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Jimmy,

Wish you had said that you were about. We are down right now, but off on Monday am.

Re ground tackle - PVB don’t do this as part of the annual maintenance?? Strange. Here in BSM it is always checked and replaced if required.

You know what, I nearly texted you on Friday but assumed for some reason that you weren't here. Sorry. We're only here for the weekend, back on the Monday morning Gatwick flight. Where are you tomorrow (Sunday)?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The marinas view is that they are the responsibility of the berth owner (ie me). I had to pay the diver (a not unreasonable €140).

Had a similar experience when one of my groundlines in Port Vauban failed last year. I assumed it was the marina's responsibility but apparently it was mine. Not sure how that works given that the marina lays the chains and lines in the first place and, as you say, imposes a hefty service charge. Yes thats a good price for a diver anywhere, not just France

longjohnsilver

Visit site

I’d have done it for a few beers.:encouragement:

I dive and maintain my own mooring, I’d be surprised if any shackle lasted more than a few years, particularly those that have any movement on them. They are the true weak link.