MDL Brixham

Switch

Visit site
First day of a weeks West Country cruise arrived in Brixham yesterday. Despite paying nearly £70 quid a night for a 42 ft boat they have shut all the showers due to Covid!! Is this the same at other MDL marinas or just Brixham? They don’t offer a discount for reduced services but then again the place is rammed so why should they?? Still, I feel like they’re taking the mick when other marinas have found ways to work around the issue.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
First day of a weeks West Country cruise arrived in Brixham yesterday. Despite paying nearly £70 quid a night for a 42 ft boat they have shut all the showers due to Covid!! Is this the same at other MDL marinas or just Brixham? They don’t offer a discount for reduced services but then again the place is rammed so why should they?? Still, I feel like they’re taking the mick when other marinas have found ways to work around the issue.
Its precisely that which makes me feel if I will ever return to boating again , having the money to pay is no problem , looking at the value for money is another .
Enjoy your holiday Terry , hope the sun keeps shining mate .

mcanderson

Visit site
Seriously £70 for Brixham and no showers. It’s €74 a night for 12 m in St Tropez and yes the showers work!

Elessar

Visit site
MDL have gone completely over the top with covid paranoia.
I could list loads of things that they’ve done that are illogical and frustrating, and some worse in terms of safety than just applying plain common sense.

dj43

Visit site
The last time we stayed at a MDL marina, they were surprised we were not a member ,saying that they mostly get other MDL members only ,have to agree they are over priced,

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
The problem that most south coast boaters facd now is the fact that the 2 main players Premier and mdl are getting bigger and will continue to do so , that is capitalism at the highest level , profit for the share holders which is what it’s all about .
Expect hikes in fees every year , other than buy a lease there isn’t much anyone can do about it .
I’ve no idea what will happen in Spain when the council take back the leases and start charging rent .

TwoHooter

Visit site
If a business has more than a 40% share of a market then they become a dominant player at which point the CMA start to take an interest simply on the basis of size.
Depends on how the market is defined I suppose. To a boat owner the potential marinas are those which fall within their preferred area, so an owner who lives in the south is unlikely to be interested in a berth in Scotland (they might be interested in a berth in the Med of course). The CMA is presumably going to look at the total UK market and measure it by value - I wonder what that amounts to. On the other hand they do intervene if individual supermarket chains have a dominant share of a local area - or is that only when takeovers are proposed?
Might possibly be worth flagging up the marina market to them, just in case they are looking for something to do! I suspect they are busy with markets which are changing rapidly due to participants going bust and the survivors having an increased market share.

PDF

Visit site
@dj43 ... I called Cobbs to try and get a visitor berth for Saturday just gone and they refused as we weren't MDL berth holders.

Stayed on a buoy in Swanage instead, much nicer area!