MD11C Stopped and wont restart

UncleAlbert

Visit site
All,

Many thanks for your input

Have decided to re-engine - it was always a medium term plan and now seems a good time to do it.
The Volvo is 1978 vintage .It has been excellent in the 7 years I have had the boat and had been well looked after by previous owners but old age is maybe catching up and I dont have the knowledge to fix it myself and it will likely cost a lot for professional help
I am quite sad as previous boat had an MD1 that was still going strong at 50 yrs old when I sold it
Probably wise . You may be able to mitigate some of your impending outlay by selling parts of the old Volvo. Apparently the exhaust elbow is as rare as 'UNOBTAINIUM'.
Unc

Bilgediver

Visit site
All,

Many thanks for your input

Have decided to re-engine - it was always a medium term plan and now seems a good time to do it.
The Volvo is 1978 vintage .It has been excellent in the 7 years I have had the boat and had been well looked after by previous owners but old age is maybe catching up and I dont have the knowledge to fix it myself and it will likely cost a lot for professional help
I am quite sad as previous boat had an MD1 that was still going strong at 50 yrs old when I sold it

We had a a boat with this problem in our marina. The owner had changed numerous gaskets refilled the sump at least three times and triedd to run it and after all 3 times the sump full of grey gloop. I got to hear about it and asked him to get the heads off and give me a call. There were traces of water in one cylinder so we lifted the block and hey presto a neatly drilled hole from the water space through the liner. One new liner and the other rotated 180 degrees new rings and gaskets and a valve job on my lathe . and the engine ran again. Despite all that gloop in the sump the bearings survived.

It seems the presence of the brass drain cocks causes a hole to appear in the liner bore which is always covered by the piston.

Some years ago PBO featured an overhaul of one of these engines and this hole actually appeared in one of the photos however NO MENTION in the text?????????

gavin400

Visit site
Because thd rear cylinder has been running hot I have been spending some time poking through that drain cock to clear debris in an effort to free up the cooling galleries - I wonder if I have poked a hole through to the cylinder (if I have, I guess it was going to corrode through at some point)
This poking about was last season and engine has been running with no ill effects - would it still run with a hole in the cylinder until it got large enough to stop the engine, or would it stop immediately?
Mine died gradually over a period of about 2 hours running

Tranona - I cant find anything about Volvo scrappage. Local dealer says no discount for the MD11C
I am wavering between the Beta 25 or 30, its for a Fisher 25 - the MD11C was 23hp and was fine, but current advice/wisdom is to go to 30hp

Tranona

Visit site
Sign in local VP dealer (Golden Arrow Poole) offering min £1000 for trade in. List prices are rather meaningless and best to get quotes. You will also find you will spend between £1-2k on installation and replacement bits such as exhaust, propeller controls, probably shaft and stern tube overhaul, bearing in mind most of the bits are over 40 years old. If you are getting somebody to fit it a package from them might be the way to go. This is a good time of the year to buy as traditionally Southampton Boat show is when many people are making the same decisions and suppliers are keen!

You are right - with the displacement of the boat you are better off with a 30hp. The MD11 was often installed in boats (like the Centaur) that really did not need them and a 25 Beta is a good replacement - or even the smaller 20.