May Bank Holiday

claymore

Visit site
This weekend we have the added bonus of a Monday off work.
During the depths of the winter I was idly pencilling in Good Times To Be On The Boat and the 3 - 5 th May got a tick. This was then developed into an informal get-together for a few like minded computer literate sailing enthusiasts - a sort of Off-Line Muster.
Each member of the party has taken this quite seriously - One went off around the far side of the world as a sort of acclimatisation exercise, another did his yachtmaster practical and for my part, I've had the hatches open and scrubbed out the heads.
The weekend forecast appears a tad inclement - no problem to the good ship Claymore who is equipped for such climatic circumstances - but I've never actually sailed in the "strong cyclonic" winds forecast and am unsure about my strategy. I am working from the assumption that strong cyclonic winds go around in circles. Initially I had intended going north on the flood with the forecast southerlies , then returning back on an ebb in the forecast Northeasterlies. Had I better just plan for a weekend of spinning around in the pissing wet or are other more experienced flora contributors able to offer sound advice?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

tcm

Visit site
It seems that only you have made the appropriate preparations: smoothly operating heads will be needed all night after a heavy session on the train up and in the pub since it will rain, whioch won't get in through those hatches.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Passage Plan

Alexandra Hotel
Argyll Hotel
Aulay's Bar
Ayres Hotel
Balmoral Hotel
Claredon Hotel
Columba Hotel
Dungallan House Hotel
Great Western Hotel
Heatherfield House
Kings Knoll Hotel
Lancaster Hotel
Lochavullin Bar
Oban Bay Hotel
The Oban Inn
O'donnell's Irish Pub
The Old Manor Inn
Palace Hotel
Queen's Hotel
Regent Hotel
Rowan Tree Hotel
Royal Hotel
The Tartan Tavern
The Kelvin Hotel
The Kimberley Hotel
The Oban Inn
The Sutherland Hotel Oban Ltd
Wellpark Hotel
Woodside Hotel

In alphabetic order to present more of a challenge!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Cyclonic

Funny you should ask.

A long long time ago when I still fitted in size L oilskins, I got a weather forecast that said Portland - Cyclonic. As there were no handy yachtmasters to ask what this meant, I found a phone box (pre mobile phone days) and called the local CG.

"I wonder if you could tell me what a forecast of cyclonic winds means, please?"

(adopt strong west country accent)

"Means they'm dunno what direction its gunner blow vrom, zur"

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
We could grab a bite at MacTavishes Kitchen if you fancy - 'tis but a short drunken stumble from Boots where we could grab the odd alka- selzer.
OK I think I've got the general gist or it - We'd better chuck in the Lord of the Isles at Croabh Haven where the Pipers Gold is rather fine

Claymore

claymore

Visit site
No finer place to lose ones strides - although I think we'll be observing a fairly strict dress code and going Commando

Claymore